• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone run a 235/85R16 E rated? killed a 31x10.5, want a 32 skinny.

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
i toasted a 31x10.50R15 MTZ last week, i am now looking for 5 new tires.
i have 15x7 eccos and 16x7 icons.

my 31's only sit around 29"+ tall when running at 26 PSI.
i have a OME 3.5" lift and 4.11 gears, jeep is a daily driver and tows a dune buggy and hauls some heavy tools for work from time to time, gets wheeled on weekends.

i want a tire that sits at 31"+ and is no wider than 10.5. options for the 15" rim are limited unless i get into the smaller 33" tires, like say a 33x10.5 TSL radial..32.7" tall with 7.9 tread width, C rated, but would lack in the daily drive department.

so this leads me to the 16" wheels. great sizes but huge load rating.
i feel that the dimensions of the 235/85R16 like the KM2 or possibly a duratrac would suit my gearing, get me a little extra height, require minimal trimming, use of stock wheels, and just a raise of the factory flare.
i have never driven on 16" wheels or load range E tires though..

should i just toss that idea right out the window and stick to finding a taller skinny 15" c rated tire? if thats the case, anyone know of some 33" tires that run short and skinny compared to advertised specs?

i had a set of 255/85r16 D rated BFG's in my hands yesterday, they were HUGE compared to my current 31's, and huge was only 32" tall installed but advertised 33.1" tall, but narrow, around 10" wide. it lookes like i would have to cut huge holes in the jeep to get these tires to fit.

my tire guys says i will hate e rated tires, but im here lookin for Xj drivers that have first hand experience with them. yes i have searched and found some mixed reviews, but nothing regarding the size of tire im looking to run.

E rated tires are gonna feel like riding on wooden wheels ... seriously, they'll be rough on a light rig like an XJ.
My wife has E rated tires (295/70/17 toyo MT's) on her JK and even with it's extra weight it rides like a brick. I'l be replacing those with C or D rated tires soonish.
I gave up on 16's for my XJ due to that reason (very little choice in a C or even D rating).
I would suggest going with a 15" option, or if you plan a WJ swap in the future ... jump up to 17" wheels ... that's probably the way I'll go in the end as well (unless I can squeeze 15" rims on after the WJ swap).

I'm running 265/75/16 GY Duratracs..C rated, mounted in TJ rubicon 16" wheels (5.5 backspace).
these does not protude from the stock flares..same as you I like that look...I was required to limit the turn radius to avoid rubbing in the LCAs when turning..not big deal..

you may need to trim the rear portion of the rear wheel well.
and proper bumpstops are required in all four corners.

I'm 5 lifted, (RE & OME) the duratracs C rated @28 psi are a nice city ride, in the highway these are less noisy than the BFG ATs Erated intalled in my F150.

Last edited:
well, after searching high and low for the perfect tire. it almost seems like i should just buy 4 new 31x10.50 MTZs, and have 3 decent spares. tall and narrow with decent road manners and load range C is a odd duck tire.

there is the BFG AT KO 33x9.50R15, never thought of running an AT on this jeep, but i had them on my old grand and they did well on the daily drive and good for hunting down the FSR, not sure how much work it would take to get a 33x9.50 on my 3.5" lift, or how tall or wide a 33x9.50 actually is once installed on a stock 15x7, but i will go check them out before i buy some more mickeys.

Where are you finding the 33x9.50?

local online tire company 1010tires.com

BFG AT 33x9.50

and to put this post to rest, i just bought 4 more mickeys, i should have better axles and a lower ratio for bigger rubber anyhow, OH well, next time i trash some tires i will switch for sure.

pizza cutters are sexy, but $240 a tire is expensive.

i ran 34x10.50 on a 15x7 w/4.5". just bumpstop and you'd be fine. you'll have to try it next time.

I pout 245/75 R 16 tires on the wife's racecar.

Standard load so it still rides like the luxury soccer mom mobile it is.

240 a tire is pricey, same as what the 31x10.50 MTZs cost local, my set is waiting for me to go pay and pick them up, 1288 CDN for four.

my yokohama friend gave me shit for wanting to go with mickeys again and offered up a set of 5 31x10.50 geolander MTs for 745 taxes in. then gotta pay another 80 for mount and balance. needless to say, still have not brought home any tires. what to do what to do

bfg makes some 33x10.50

Speaking of landrover look I am running Stock OEM Defender tires on ford exploder alloy 16" rims(cheap, cheap, cheap), thease are a general grabber 235/85r16. Defenders are quite popular over here and people are always selling their oem tires for cheap to upgrade.
I think they drive fine being a light truck tire. Being an AT however they are not so good in the mud, but are very good in sand.
looks very stock even with a 4.5" lift, till you put it next to a stocker that is.
you just have to remove a bit from the center hole of the wheels to get them to sit
on the rear jeep axels properly, they fit the front hubs no worries.
good luck with it
IMG_0443.jpg

Last edited:
Back