• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion nut?

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my new to me 8.25 axle may need new bearings in it. Looking around at the local shops i.e vatozone, O'reallys, Napa. No one seems to carry a pinion nut for it. Is this a drivetrain shop part only? :dunno:

If you buy a bearing kit, which is cheaper than buying all of the individual bearings from the auto parts store, it will come with a new pinion nut.

Bookmarked it literally years ago, knowing it'd come in useful... that was 3 computers ago. Luckily I remembered what the hell the title of the site was and was able to google it :eyes:

I think I got that site from Joe Peters in like 09 or so.

Bookmarked it literally years ago, knowing it'd come in useful... that was 3 computers ago. Luckily I remembered what the hell the title of the site was and was able to google it :eyes:

I think I got that site from Joe Peters in like 09 or so.

Which is why I just love Firefox - and the Foxmarks plugin! All I've got to do is dig out the card with the login, and I've got access to all of my bookmarks...

You can get them off ebay and stuff too. I ordered a few--i usually grind out the locking portion of one of the nuts to use as a setup nut. You should only use an unused nut when you do your final setup.

On the C8.25 all you need to do is take the one you remove and either use a red locktite (I recommend this) or just hit the edge with a 4lbs hammer enough to slightly distort just the first thread or two.

But since its a crush sleeve style, I would wait till you got Very close to the 10-20lbs/in rating then just remove the nut and add a liberal amount of red loctite, then reassemble and set pinion preload.

On the C8.25 all you need to do is take the one you remove and either use a red locktite (I recommend this) or just hit the edge with a 4lbs hammer enough to slightly distort just the first thread or two.

But since its a crush sleeve style, I would wait till you got Very close to the 10-20lbs/in rating then just remove the nut and add a liberal amount of red loctite, then reassemble and set pinion preload.
^ This works just fine.

^ This works just fine.

Just tryin to make it easy on you man. Your doin the work. :D

Back