• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Talk me out of going TONS!

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just started my 44/9 swap so far I ony have the 9" center section done with spool and 5.13s, I have the spring perches welded on the housing and thas as far as I am with that.

Now ive been searching for the 44 and the day I come across a complete 77 dana 44 for $175 I also find a set of 60s complete brake to brake 5.13s spooled/disk brake rear, and open and kingpin front for $2000! That's less than what I was planning on for my front 44 build, and i could have my jeep moving again sooner.

So before I jump on a possible overbuild, is there any reason I should not do it? I know they are heavy and hang low for my planned 37"s(for now) but are they maby too heavy for a on road 4.0/aw4/231? I am going to plate the frame and a minimal cage but will they still rip my jeep appart of time?

What about off the shelf long arms? I was planning on the tnt kit, will they handle the extra weight?

1tons are cooler then 1/2tons, DO IT!!! I'm not a fan of 37's on a 44, it pretty much requires the 44 to be pimped out with good parts. Stock 60 stuff will be fine for 37's and you can always upgrade shafts and such for bigger tires later. I have 37's on my 60/14b and diff clearance isn't an issue.

The reason the 14B isn't an issue for you Ross is because you shaved it.

Personally, I wouldn't run an unshaved 14B on anything less than 40s.

I wouldn't run an unshaved 14b period. But that's aside from the point since the OP is looking at a 60 rear. And just for the record, my 14b has almost 3/4 of an inch more clearance then my HP60.

Is the rear 60 a full floater? If so, and still has stock shafts, they are only 30 spline. For what we do, the shafts are really not much better than a 44 with 30 spline shafts.

For some extra $ you can change side gears/spool, bore out the spindles and run some aftermarket 35 spline shafts and have a very good axle for 37s.

The front 60 has a 30 spline stub stock, way stronger than a stock 44 19 spline stub but you can buy 30 sp shafts for a 44 as well.

I was a man at the same crossroads as you a few years back, and decided to build fully pimped 1/2 tons. I run 38" tsl and enjoy better ground clearance, less width, and less weight than tons.

If you plan on going to larger than a 37" tire, go tons. I personally will never go over a 37 (and am happy on 35s right now) so I went the 3/4 ton route. I didn't plan on using a rear 60 but it fell into my lap.

i broke enough dana44 stuff on 35s-38s that i could build 2 statues out of them.

not pictured is the detroit locker, a couple shafts i warrantied, some small parts, like hubs and u joints, a bent knuckle, and a bent, trussed housing.

313532_517421323624_1335878759_n.jpg

hope this helps with your deciscion.

oh, and it takes 4 minutes to gain nearly an inch of ground clearance on a 14 bolt.

Last edited:
as for using tnt longarms with one tons. I wouldnt.

1: the dana 60 differential is larger, and you may have to modify the upper arm to fit around the differential and mount up top.

2: you are building tons, surely you can build a suspension system

3: you are building tons, don't use stock upper control arm bushings with stock 10mm bolts

4: you are building tons, you might want to consider raising your lowe control arm mounts to flush with the axle tube, mo ground clearance.

Of all the guys I have wheeled with in the past, I have never hear any of them ever say "dang, I wish I went with the smaller axles!!!!" Good luck.

Go Sterling 10.25 and don't look back. Comes stock with full floating 35 spline axles, couple hundred for a disc brake swap. Good to go.

The rear, 60 has 35 spine Mouser axle shafts in it all ready.

KTM, haha I have seen that picture about 200 times in the last two days wile searching this haha. That's scarry, what gear ratio were they?

The struggler, how did you build your 44? My original plan was a full bling status 44/9, but as foxwar said, 37s it about it for a44.

I guess my problem is, I've never broke anything offroad, granted my last tire size was 31" haha. I know I don't beat on my truck, I rather pick a good line than just hold the gass till I make it, but my fear is since I'm planning on driving this thing all over Michigan, and then Moab in the future, and I'm scared of something catastrophic will hapen like an inner knuckles exploding.

as someone who built a hpd44 a month or so ago and already wiped out some chromoly 30 spline shafts on 35's, get the 60's LOL
i do beat the hell out of my truck, but only if i have no chance in clearing something otherwise. it's easy to look at the wheeling you used to do and say that you'll never break anything with a d44 if you never broke a d30, but if you're anything like some of us, you'll want to go harder once your rig is built. then that'll get too easy and you'll go harder again. and again. and before long you're posting videos like some of the east coast boys above rock humping the snot out of something. :D

it's easy to look at the wheeling you used to do and say that you'll never break anything with a d44 if you never broke a d30, but if you're anything like some of us, you'll want to go harder once your rig is built. then that'll get too easy and you'll go harder again. and again. and before long you're posting videos like some of the east coast boys above rock humping the snot out of something. :D

Quoted for the truth!!!

Thats exactly why I skipped right over a 44 and straight from a built 30 to a pimped out 60.

The rear, 60 has 35 spine Mouser axle shafts in it all ready.

KTM, haha I have seen that picture about 200 times in the last two days wile searching this haha. That's scarry, what gear ratio were they?

The struggler, how did you build your 44? My original plan was a full bling status 44/9, but as foxwar said, 37s it about it for a44.

I guess my problem is, I've never broke anything offroad, granted my last tire size was 31" haha. I know I don't beat on my truck, I rather pick a good line than just hold the gass till I make it, but my fear is since I'm planning on driving this thing all over Michigan, and then Moab in the future, and I'm scared of something catastrophic will hapen like an inner knuckles exploding.

and here is a broken moser 35 spline 60 shaft lol

253775_514326056564_1903028_n.jpg

i ran 5.38s. only one ring and pinion went from that ratio, and i was VERY bound up and was running a stock carrier with a lock-right. i pretty much deserved it. also broke a shaft at the same time.

Jesus KTM, what the hell do you do?!?! I wanted to be talked out of one tons not into Rockwells haha. Tho was that 60semi float? Weird?!?! Why did you chose it?

Its looking like I'm leaning twards 60s ,

I have changed my mind with going with the front 44. I am now going with 60s.

I am still sticking with 37s like your self, but you never know, there might be that one day you want to go up to 40s, and you'll be stuck having to build another axle to do so!!

My whole reason for upgrading axles is to be able to do what vanimal Said, wheel harder!!

In all honesty, if ground clearance is the only reason to go with a 44, then get real and go portals!

Jesus KTM, what the hell do you do?!?! I wanted to be talked out of one tons not into Rockwells haha. Tho was that 60semi float? Weird?!?! Why did you chose it?

Its looking like I'm leaning twards 60s ,

yea, its semi float.

took a bad hop under throttle while climbing an obstacle in my backyard

250474_514325367944_4225608_n.jpg

i really don't know why it broke, I certainly don't think it should have on worn 35s.

KTM, wow, I'm not sure to be more shocked that it broke like that, or that that is yohr back yard haha.

Garret, that is verry true. A guy on another fourm said. " Your other decision you need to make is are you really going to stay at a maximum 37" tire forever? Look in the mirror and promise yourself that you will never go to a 38,39 or 40" tire.......... ever. If you can't make that promise, go 60." Now that's rough haha.

Any way I contacted the guy with the 60s, if he has them ill pick them up Sunday, if not ill grab the 44 and hold on to it for a few months, if i cant find a 60 front ill build the 44 like mad haha.

yea, its semi float.

i really don't know why it broke, I certainly don't think it should have on worn 35s.

I dont blame it since its a semi floater, that area of the shaft also supports all the weight of the back of the jeep and knowing you it had tens of thousands of miles on it. It doesn't help that semi floater shafts aren't made from chromoly, they are just a 1541h alloy. It's still stronger then stock shaft material but not as strong as 4340 chromoly.

KTM, wow, I'm not sure to be more shocked that it broke like that, or that that is yohr back yard haha.

You dont wheel on your backyard too?! I've broken more stuff on my rock pile out back then I had out wheelin.

117d7wk.jpg

Last edited:
Back