• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory cross rails ripped out, how do I fix it?!

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Lets get the jeep type out of the way
1989 cherokee laredo 4.0 4wd auto

Cliff notes version of story... My buddies RE shocks foamed up and it became really soft and useless after some rough road playing,so he went to rock mine to see if I expierence the same effect with my bilstein 5150's... Well he rocked it and ripped out the little threaded rings inside the rubber grommets... Obviously my shocks were still functioning...

How do I fix my issue so I can remount my cargo rack??

Here's my ideas so far:
1. go to jeep and replace old with new.
2. Remove headliner drill hole for 1/4-20 bolt, using spacers as needed and nut down factory rack instead of using a bolt
3. Use 1/4"x2" flat strap and weld it directly to roof rack and do generally the same as above.
4. Buy 4 or 6 of the jcr Offroad gutter mounts and use those somehow.

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Just saw my buddies that he made ,His wernt pretty but pretty cheap and easily fabricated, I think I'll make some up Saturday and see how they turn out :)

you know you don't need a tool to use nutserts right? just get a long bolt, a nut, and a washer. Thread the nut onto the bolt, then thread the assembly through the nutsert with the washer between the flange of the nutsert and the nut. then hold the head of the bolt still with a wrench or socket and run the nut toward the nutsert with another wrench. Some oil on the nut, washer, and threads may make this easier. Takes more time than using the tool but if you don't have it and don't anticipate using it often this trick will get you by.

The rubber inserts used on the roof rack are called well nuts. Go buy some and replace them, no big deal, no special tools. A good local nut and bolt place should have them.

Also, if you didn't slap your "buddy", you need to.

Back