• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short in Parking lights circuit

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
90, 4.0, Laredo, lots of miles.

My dash lights don't work, the running lights don't work, and the license light doesn't work. Brake lights work, emergency blinkers work. It blows the parking light fuse. I pulled the bulbs from the taillights, and checked for grounding in the line from the connector in the driver's side footwell. There was none. Seemed to be grounding in the connector back to the headlight switch, so I replaced the switch. I'm still blowing a fuse.

Any other likely culprits you have experience with?

Have you recently replaced speakers in the rear or or had the rear cover on the hatch opened and messed with any wires back there. I had a similar problem with mine. There is a male and female connector back there that look like they should be plugged in, but don't and will cause this problem. Hope this helps you out.

Go to the 10 pin connector in front of the air cleaner. Unplug it and put a new fuse in. Turn lights on. Fuse pop? If so, the problem is in the rear. Didn't pop, problem is forward of that connector.

short behind the fuseblock. THe dash light fuse is ran directly from the parking lamp fuse terminals in the back of the fuseblock. This is where my parking lamp short was.

Pull the parking lamp fuse and the dash light fuse, ohm the terminals to the body. If you get a dead short with minimal resistance, I would pull the fuseblock and look behind it. IRC it's a pink or yellow wire.

I just checked the connector to the headlight switch. No ground from the B2 terminal, but there is a ground from the R terminal, the line to the parking lights. My wiring diagram shows this going to a 5 connector in the kick panel, and the 10 connector? I'll have to go see where the fuse block fits into all this.

The B2 terminal goes to the ignition switch key sensor, and to the fuse. With the fuse in I get 12 volts to the connector, with it out I have no ground. I do have a ground from the R terminal, the blue wires that go to the connectors.

I definitely pulled the chime module. Still blew a fuse. All that I can see that's left on the wiring diagram is the clock. I still see conductance from the R connector in the harness to ground.

AND THE ANWER IS:

Somewhere in the clock circuit. I think the final thing that I pulled was the clock illumination relay, left kick panel, blue, and got no conductance from the R terminal, or the 4 terminal at the kick panel. AND I do have rear lights. Haven't plugged in the connector at the air filter because it is bad, bad corroded.

Back