• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all aftermarket diff covers equal?

Westernhunter

NAXJA Forum User
I see some covers are $100 and some are as much as $180. What makes one cover better than the other?
I will be buying one for my D30 soon and want the best value.
I have a Ruffstuff cover with a lube locker on the rear, it leaks!
What do you recommend?

i have a riddler. was only $100 and there is a video on youtube of it being run over with dozers and such. likely more than i will ever need. its supposed to have the highest clearance in the game as well, doesnt stick out much more than stock.

I have Solid and my front cover has taken a few good shots, worth the money IMO, its best to get them when they're having the sale.

Ruffstuff here. I have popped the head off the front drain bolt enough times that i quit replacing it. The countersunk bolts are also slightly problematic if you wear the lip down enough to start gouging the pan head bolts on rocks.

To my knowledge, they dont offer either of these options any longer. I would not hesitate to buy another cover from them without the drain plug or countersunk bolts

Wait, doesn't that mean they designed it wrong?

No

I have seen this from most of the formed plate companies. Just requires a second to clearance the bearing retainer or bolt edge.

i picked up both front and rear solid covers when they were on sale, end up with two covers for the price of one from some other brands, mine have taken some good smacks and no damage yet, hell they get the most abuse when im trying to get the damn covers unglued from the diff housing..they mount up very flush and if you did your prep work before installing the cover, they can be a PITA to break loose if you use "the right stuff" to seal them on..no real point to pry from, i just did my diff oil/inspection again on tuesday and had to get the chisle out

no leaks. cheap and strong. clears everything i have installed up front, does what they are supposed to do very well.

Last edited:
^ that works but it's more of a bandaid for the problem, you're much better off with a full cover it'll also add a lil ridgitity to the housing to aid in deflection.

Ok - I'd like to pose a question here -

Why would one choose a diff guard that mounts to the lower part of the diff, like this:
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=51&gr=

vs.

a diff guard that replaces the entire diff cover?

For the price of what could be bought at Zone Offroad, I could get a full plate from Solid and even save a few bucks.

That is only supported by a few of the bolts. When the unit is impacted, I have seen designs like that damage the few bolt holes it is held on by in the diff housing.

The full diff cover is a better option.

Last edited:
what's the clearance on the Solid WRT the tie rod? For my use I really don't need a heavier diff cover, but really... $65 for a little undercarriage bling? Tempting. Looks like it is actually pretty sturdy as well.

Back