• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 tc without rear driveshaft

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
With no rear drive shaft and a 242 should I use full or part time 4wd to get around temporarily? I believe last time I tried to do it it went about 100 feet down the road but then it seemed to start slipping (rpms, no power). I'm thinking maybe I had it in full time and it was just all going to the rear?

Full time will allow some slip, i would recommend trying to stay in Full Time you can go a little faster without damaging your TC. Put it in 4 High (Never low) if you get to much slip and need more torque on the hills but don't go over 35 mph in part time. Good Luck and change your tc fluid when you get a new rear drive shaft.

Thanks, Part time worked fine. I'm not sure how many miles are on the TC so I'm pretty sure all the power was going to the rear in full time. Took the slow roads home and everything was fine.

something must have been bound up, my understanding was that the 242 didn't have a viscous coupling therefore it shouldn't have moved at all in full time. If I'm mistaken, please correct me...?

Full time will allow some slip, i would recommend trying to stay in Full Time you can go a little faster without damaging your TC. Put it in 4 High (Never low) if you get to much slip and need more torque on the hills but don't go over 35 mph in part time. Good Luck and change your tc fluid when you get a new rear drive shaft.

Best off just using part-time. The 242 has an internal differential and if you select full-time with no rear driveshaft you won't move much if at all, and you'll be abusing the internal diff.

Maybe I had it in part and it slipped into full last time /shrug, it was a while ago and I don't really remember. Good to know about the 242, I wasn't really sure.

WTF?
so much mis information in this post.
You can run part time at any speed you like, it just has to be on a loose surface or you will bind the case and stretch the chain when you turn. Since OP's rear axle is not connected he does not have to worry about the case binding.
WTF does high vs low have to do with it?
Full Time will not get him anywhere, as the open diff in the 242 will just spin the output with the least resistance, which is the driveshaftless rear.

to the OP: stick it in part time and don't worry about it. It will drive a little funny in FWD only mode. Other than that, good to go for all speeds.

I assume it's until you get a driveshaft made for an SYE, otherwise, make sure you're keeping the fluid in the case.

WTF?
You can run part time at any speed you like, it just has to be on a loose surface or you will bind the case and stretch the chain when you turn. Since OP's rear axle is not connected he does not have to worry about the case binding.
Full Time will not get him anywhere, as the open diff in the 242 will just spin the output with the least resistance, which is the driveshaftless rear.

You can not run a part time TC at any speed. That i would NEVER do! You can even hear it wine when going to fast. It will heat up so bad. And it was only a recommendation to not run at high speeds. I asumed he would be driving on ass fault and not on dirt. Calm down dude!
And to state High vs Low has everything to do with my statement. In low your mph speed need to stay even lower.

WTF?

You can not run a part time TC at any speed. That i would NEVER do! You can even hear it wine when going to fast. It will heat up so bad. And it was only a recommendation to not run at high speeds. I asumed he would be driving on ass fault and not on dirt. Calm down dude!
And to state High vs Low has everything to do with my statement. In low your mph speed need to stay even lower.
I need some of what your puffing on. :) lol. You can too run part time high at any speed. When in part time low range the limiting factor on speed is the fact that it's low range. I do have experience in this. Have had to do it myself a couple times. OP use part time. No Worries!

Ok if you say so, i will stand corrected.

Why don't you go to the Jeep website and download the instruction manual for the select and command trac systems.

It's been a while, but pretty sure it mentions something about "shift on the fly" and "any legal speed"

As for the low speed comment, I've ran my 231 in 5th gear WOT in low range. It's been under my junk for the last 6 years of me beating the snot out of it on some ridiculously hard trails I had no business being on. it's still just fine.

just because it's not something YOU would do does not mean that the case is not capable of it and you should not be presenting your opinions as facts regarding the transfer case.

I assume all of the jeepspeed guys that are running 231's in the desert at 70 MPH are going to explode them right?

And it was only a recommendation to not run at high speeds.
I love the backtracking.
This was your first comment:
don't go over 35 mph in part time
that does not sound like a recommendation.

also, do you even know how the insides of a 242 work? Because the suggestion to keep it in Fulltime with no rear driveshaft is indeed laughable:
i would recommend trying to stay in Full Time you can go a little faster without damaging your TC.
You do realize that there are more things spinning while in full time mode than in part time? like the center diff that spins it's little bitty gears at 2x output speed if you hold one output and let the other run free, like it would with no rear driveshaft?
congratulations, you just figured out a fool proof way to grenade a 242, stick it in full time with a missing driveshaft and try to drive on it....

NAXJA I apologize for the miss information I gave. I was told wrong info at one point :confused1, I am young and still have a lot to learn; but I am willing to learn. I was told to only use Part Time when you really need it then take it out asap, but Full Time you can use all the time. I have not read the manual for 242 and/or 231 and from what i have been told I will do that right now. Thank you for clarifying this information and giving me the chance to learn what is right. But 87manche you don't have to act like a smart*** to tell me am wrong. Thank you

Really people? All the ranting and raving. The NP242 is a part-time/full-time TC. In part time, the front and rear drive shafts are locked together via a chain drive to the front. If the rear drive shaft is disconected, then the chain drives the front and the rear shaft (not connected to the rear axle) just spins at the same speed as the front. As a short-term solution (until replacing the rear shaft), he can run in part-time without any problem, provided he isn't leaking TC fluid. The Jeep won't move well with the rear drive shaft disco'ed in full-time, due to the open diff in the TC. Simple as that. Sheesh.

Back