• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 pinion yoke..i screwed up

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Friends XJ was towed in the other night, needs a pinion yoke replacement. Yesterday while removing/matching up the yoke (there are several) i took the impact to the nut... and forgot to mark it's location.

I have the new yoke and seal, Q-Tech didnt have a nut in stock. I wasnt planning to replace the crush sleeve as i dont have an in/lb torque wrench.

I thought i remembered reading that using the old nut with loctite and torquing the nut to 90 ft/lbs would get me very close to where it needs to be.. but i cant seem to find that thread now. This sound accurate?

How would you go about reinstalling this and tighten it down?

I was told 80 ft/lbs and stake.the nut on.
Did not have any problems with it for the couple years I ran it until I went 8.8

It would have helped if you got an idea of what the preload felt like originally, but I've done this successfully a couple of times on older Jeeps, using the basic assumption that over many miles the preload has decreased a little, so if you go to where it was and add just a little more crush you'll be closer than you were before at least. I just put the new seal in and screwed the yoke on until the drag of the preload felt right, which was a little beyond where it had been. There's enough play in the system that you can feel how much preload you're getting by just wiggling the yoke back and forth.

I realize this is a "swamp yankee" way of doing things, but it kept me going for many many miles on my 87 and 99 both with no problems and no leaks.

Alright guys.. thanks. Gonna head outside and start on it.

It's not a daily so i'll try running the nut down and give it a bit more.

I ended up installing the new pinion seal/yoke and torque'n down the nut to 90 ft/lbs with a generous application of loctite.

This axle has a regular looking nut on the pinion, not the typical tapered style i remember installing on my D30 when i rebuilt it. I wasnt able to stake the nut..

I mentioned there were several yokes for the 8.25, Q-Tech asked if i needed the 2.75" or 3" tall yoke, we bought both and this 96 XJ ended up matching up to the 3" yoke.

Back