• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring of OOGAH horn under the hood

lweiman

NAXJA Forum User
I have mounted an old motor driven oogah horn under the hood of my 91 cherokee, and i need some help wiring it.

I want to hook it up the the original horn button (on the steering wheel), but i do not know where to look for the wiring under the hood. I do not even know where the stock horn is. Right now the stock horn is not working, so I am assuming the fuse is bad.

Which fuse does the stock horn use? and where is the stock horn located?

If that fuse and wiring is not enough to handle the high current that my motor driven oogah horn draws, I am prepared to route it's own switch on the dash. which is the best pre-existing hole and grommet in the firewall that I should wire it through?

The 2 stock horns are behind the bumper. Look like mini black french horns kinda. If you run bigger wires and use a relay, the stock wiring should be alright to trigger the horn.

Use a relay so that the horn button and stock wiring only has to trigger the relay which will carry the high current for the horn.

On the 93, the horn fuse is a 25amp located in slot 11 on the interior fuse panel.

To access the horns pull back (toward the front) the flexible splash guard located in the area sort of under the headlight housing. I don't know if it is possible access them from the top. I happen to have this well in mind because I am in the process of adding new horns as we speak.

Again on the 93, there is a horn relay in the panel located on the lower dash panel in front of your right knee. With everything quiet, you should be able to hear this relay click when you press the horn button. I don't know if the 91 setup is different.

I don't know what the capacity of the stock relay is but I agree with adding a second relay to handle the high current of your new horn. I just stuffed the relay along with the trigger wiring up next to the air box in the front left hand corner under the hood. Not very elegant but I guess I was in a hurry the first time I added a new horn and it has worked now for many years.

Back