• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj speakers

Sinioth

NAXJA Forum User
To start, let me say I know nothing about car audio. So please help me.

I have a '00 XJ, and I'm looking to replace my half broken speakers. I don't need to go crazy here, and I'm not going to spend 2k on speakers, subs, amp etc. I just want some good sound.

Do I want 2,3, or 4 channel speakers? Component? What would an amp do for me?

Basically just give me as much newbie advice as you can. Thanks guys.

Component is best, can be had for good deals if you look. If you have a decent HU, then you do not necessarily need an additional amp, but cant hurt. Depending on the speakers you get you want to try and get your power output on the higher end of the recommended RMS of them. With nice speakers a sub is not necessary. Especially if you use your cargo space as much as I and some others do.

Try amazon.com I've bought a lot of car stereo stuff from them and they always seem to have the best prices. If you just want good sound find some nice replacement speakers and don't worry about an amp or going bigger and having to cut holes or placing a sub.

Everyone has a brand preference of course, read reviews and choose your brand.

crutchfield sometimes has decent deals as well.

Well, first off, do you have the factory Infinity system? If not, good :D I would advise you to browse Crutchfield too for ideas and possibly even purchases..

Choose a head unit with time alignment (most seem to have this feature nowadays) as the Cherokee cabin is a terrible environment for acoustics, even by automotive standards. If it has a equalizer built-in too, that's a plus.

If you're willing to give up the space, under the rear seat will actually house a small 4-channel amp (something 50x4 watts or so) without a problem. Most aftermarket speakers benefit by being powered by an external amp, which I'd recommend.

Rear speakers aren't really an issue and are easy to replace. Go with 6.5" speakers in the front. I would also recommend components up front, but they have installation challenges...and as a self-proclaimed "newb" they may not be something you want to bother with.

Hey I also have a 2000 cherokee and I picked up some nice 4" pioneer speakers from walmart for in the front doors ( duel voice coil and where a little small but only had to add washers to the original mounting screws to work) for the highs, and mids and in passenger side rear I made a custom box for a 10" sub with the amp ( for the sub ) under the passenger side front seat. The sub isnt going to win any awards but it adds a nice deep sound to any music. I can add some pics of the sub box if interested.

Back