• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof thermal insulation

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm 6'2" and have ZJ seats so my head is REALLY close to the headliner.

When it's hot outside I can really feel the heat coming from the roof.

I've spent the last hour Googling insulation and have seen a LOT of options but not a lot of real world reviews.

Have any of ou insulated your roof and if so what with and to what result?

I'm looking at cheaper alternatives like Frost King or Peel and Seal.

Thanks in advance!

PS> you SOCAL guys and other desert XJ'ers are bound to have some good experience with this.

This is the stuff you want.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?Ntt=peel+and+seal&productId=1018733&rpp=16

Put it on with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10007...qid=1344288350&sr=8-1&keywords=dynamat+roller

I did it in my 97 F-250 last summer. Not only is it cooler, it is MUCH MUCH quieter than before I did it. I did do the entire interior, which I would suggest you do as well. The Peel & Seal was about $15 a roll and I used almost 5 rolls IIRC. I am planning on doing the same thing in my new XJ pretty soon.

You're in Alabama? That get's hot. No peeling?

This is the stuff you want.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?Ntt=peel+and+seal&productId=1018733&rpp=16

Put it on with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10007...qid=1344288350&sr=8-1&keywords=dynamat+roller

I did it in my 97 F-250 last summer. Not only is it cooler, it is MUCH MUCH quieter than before I did it. I did do the entire interior, which I would suggest you do as well. The Peel & Seal was about $15 a roll and I used almost 5 rolls IIRC. I am planning on doing the same thing in my new XJ pretty soon.

You didn't get an asphalt odor from that?

I put it in while I was living in Houston, but yes I am now in lower Alabama. It smelled for a day or two, but not too bad. I was a little worried about the smell, but the truck was so loud (according to my decibel meter app on my iPhone about 90 decibels while doing 70ish) that I could hardly make a phone call. I would have to turn the radio up extremely high to hear it. Now it reads at about 65 decibels.

I also put down a layer of thin high density foam between the carpet and the Peel & Seal. Probably not necessary, but it wasn't very expensive and it can't hurt.

Nealio, did you put carpet back on top of it? That might be why it still smells if you didn't.

ETA- When I said I did the entire interior, I mean everything except the dash. I took out all the carpet, trim pieces, and the headliner. It's strange that you can hear the sound directional coming through the windows and the windshield wipers causing a lot of noise. It used to sound like a tin roof barn in the rain and now I can only tell its raining because the windshield gets wet.

I'm 6'2" and had a problem with my head being too close to the roof. Never noticed the heat though. I got some manual seat mounts and cut them down about 1" and re welded them.

Since I don't own a welder my seat brackets would cost me a couple hundred dollars. Including the price of a welder...

lol

You should really use a product that is intended for the use, such as Second Skin Audio's Thermal Block/Heat Wave Pro products.

Bituminous mats, like Dynamat, actually absorb heat to dampen noise. I don't think you want to add more heat to the situation here :D

You should really use a product that is intended for the use, such as Second Skin Audio's Thermal Block/Heat Wave Pro products.

Bituminous mats, like Dynamat, actually absorb heat to dampen noise. I don't think you want to add more heat to the situation here :D
While absorbing sound, it is converted to heat, but the amount is so low you would be extremely hard pressed to measure it, even in the lab.

Since I don't own a welder my seat brackets would cost me a couple hundred dollars. Including the price of a welder...
Don't you know someone that welds? Its just one option and believe me I am very happy with the outcome. In my case I did this before I started playing at welding. I did all I could prior to taking it to some that can weld.

Back