• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quadratec Q winch

K.Hess

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the market for a winch and was wondering about the new q9000 or q1100 winch. I know warn is the best but I dont have that kind of cash.

has anyone run either of these?
are the decent?

just looking for the best bang for my buck

thanks

Warn VR8000 for $479. There's one sitting here on the floor. :)

I'm not sure a winch is the place you want to use "the best bang for your buck" card. Get something cheap and you'll be opening that thing up regularly to fix something.

IMO I'd go with something reputable, like Warn. Not to mention,(although I am) $479 for an 8000lb. winch isn't bad at all.

Start searching the classifieds on the various offroad forums for a used warn or ramsey. Look on craigslist too, I saw a newer warn 8274 for $450 a couple days ago. I've seen them go for less though.

ok so what I am gathering is the only winch to rely on would be the warn correct?

it just seems that a winch is such a simple piece of equipment how can everyone else screw it up?

Richard dont hold the winch for me it will be a while till I can afford $479 for a winch. I was hoping that the $294 for the quadratec Q9000 was worth it.

guess I should keep saving.

I run a smitybuilt xrc 8000 and it works just fine. Any winch can fail(including warn), every thread that mentions a winch of any brand becomes buy a warn or puppies will die, and yet thousands of people run other brands without problems? No experience with the qtech winches, but my low cost Chinese winch, bought on sale for $249 out the door, has worked well for me. I don't spend every day using my winch either, in fact I try to avoid it whenever possible. There are many brands of winch available, some of which have beaten warn winches that cost twice as much in performance and reliability tests, so no warn is not the only option.

I was running a Warn XD9000 and had all kind of solenoid problems. I think they used to be good when they were using Bosch and got a little less good as they switched to Sanyo (I think). Still a great product but too expensive considering the competition choices.

You can get a good cheaper winch, like a Smitty XRC, and invest the difference in a synthetic line, which is very nice to have and very safe touse...

Considering that you can get a product that outperforms a Warn in every measurable aspect, has the same warranty, and costs almost 40% less, it seems silly not to at least give it a try :dunno:

I've used many "cheap" winches and they've always outlasted the vehicle they were attached to.

Considering that you can get a product that outperforms a Warn in every measurable aspect, has the same warranty, and costs almost 40% less, it seems silly not to at least give it a try :dunno:

I've used many "cheap" winches and they've always outlasted the vehicle they were attached to.

Where is the independently tested technical data to back this up?

There's an 8274 over on pirate right now for $300 plus shipping......

Lol lemme guess... you own a Warn? :laugh:

Tech specs are all over the internet, including the manufacturer's websites - I'm not going to track them all down for you. And thank you for proving my point that you can buy a brand new "Q" for what you can buy a used Warn for.

Try reading the four wheeler magazine winch shootout. The $329 engo was louder, slower, had worse instructions, and it was uglier, so it got 4th place? It was also more efficient, pulled 133% of its rated capacity, and didn't break like the $1500 warn that got first place. I'd rather have a winch stall than keep pulling until it breaks. I don't care if it's uglier, or the directions are hard to read. I guarantee the 5 engo winches for the same price will far outperform and out last the single warn.

Back