• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hell Creek AAL's

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Has anyone used the Comanche specific full length add a leafs from hell creek? I'm only looking for one-two inches of lift and my pinion angle is already perfect, so i'm not looking for a shackle change.

I did. Here is a pic of my truck with OME MD front coils and 1" spacers, spring under rear 8.25 with the Hell Creek AAL's and Tera Flex 1.5 shackles. I used Barnes 4WD spring perches which allowed me to set the pinion angle so no vibes.

1313970986.jpg

1313971010.jpg

Do you ever put a load in the bed? Trailer? And are you happy with how it rides on and off road?

Do you ever put a load in the bed? Trailer? And are you happy with how it rides on and off road?

Not a heavy load but it would have handled a load as good as stock I'm sure. The ride seemed somewhat stiffer but not a lot of difference

that's a nice looking MJ.

It was, thank you. We are rebuilding it now since this happened last winter.

0220120743.jpg

0224121553.jpg

I just need a damn rust free/dent free bed and I will have everything in place to make it better than it was. The new cab top is going on next month.

ah i remember that, i was hoping it wasnt the same truck. i cant wait to see it finished. too bad it would cost so much to get a bed out there from here, i'm pretty sure we could find you a clean one.

sad panda on the rolled one :(

I'm not sure who makes the hell creek ones, but I had a set of 3" skyjacker AAL's in my junk for a long time.
It does make the front end work more, they are a bit stiff for wheeling. I eventually bent the main leafs flexing it out. They bent right where the AAL ended just before the eye.

anyway, they worked fine for what they were, I wheeled it hard with no regard to it's well being. Some common sense and not backing the shackles into boulders would go a long way towards not f'ing it all up.

Well, I needed to find out, so I bought them. The hell creek long add a leafs AAL for the Comanche added 1.4 inches to the rear end. Measured from the ground to my rear license plate. I had NO rear bumper, my 36 inch spare in the bed, a couple sleeping bags, and a bottle jack in the bed. The suspension was stock spring under with an unknown shackle on the back (1-2 inch lift). So all together with a small shackle and the AAL the total lift is around three inches. It does feel slightly stiffer, which I was hoping for as well. I just hope it doesn't squat too much when I get a bumper on there.

Oddly enough, I drove it around just a little, parked it, remeasured the next morning. Now it sits 1.75" taller than original.

Will post back in a few months after a wheeling trip and bumper install to see what the final outcome is.

Took it wheeling, one small trip. Still no rear bumper, everything else the same.

Down to just under 1 inch of net lift :(

I have some MJ "long" AALs from a 3" Rancho kit, might work out for you. 20 bucks? I can deliver them tomorrow.

Pretty sure these are the same ones from rancho. Anyway, I like how it rides, so i'm gonna make some new mounts and shackles to get the height I want and move the axle back an inch or so.

When my truck had the Rancho kit installed it also had a short AAL in place of the overload, it was the same part number as the XJ short AAL. I sold the kit off to a guy in an XJ and I ran all the numbers to double check. From what I can remember, the truck rode and flexed decent.

Pretty sure these are the same ones from rancho. Anyway, I like how it rides, so i'm gonna make some new mounts and shackles to get the height I want and move the axle back an inch or so.

check with Brian @ hdoffroadenineering.

the bottom half of a XJ relocation kit will give you the extra inch or 2 you want, and give you shackle angle options. Should be able to weld it right to the bottom of th framerail.

check with Brian @ hdoffroadenineering.

the bottom half of a XJ relocation kit will give you the extra inch or 2 you want, and give you shackle angle options. Should be able to weld it right to the bottom of th framerail.
Yep, thats where i'm at right now. I cut out some new front leaf mounts and will be lowering them 1.5" and moving rearward 1". Then the rear is going to get a longer shackle and reinforced mounts.

Well, after all that... The mainspring has flexed backwards against the add a leaf. So all in all it got me through 1 wheeling trip. Time to replace the whole pack. :(

Well, after all that... The mainspring has flexed backwards against the add a leaf. So all in all it got me through 1 wheeling trip. Time to replace the whole pack. :(

it took me 2 years of hard wheeling to do that, but that's exactly what happened to my packs with the AAL.

Well, I should have listened closer to you to begin with, but I guess I got what I needed anyway. I had a specific trip in mind I wanted to make, and did. So really, one test day of 10 miles of easy dirt, and one day at the hammers of hard shit that took its toll.

Back