• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what are symptoms of clogged cats?

Dcoy1283

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any clear signs of a clogged catylitic converter? I have a 2000 xj with the 2 cats right under the intake and i'm getting some extreme heat under the hood and didn't know if it could be a sign of some blockage. I also have some slight power loss.loss, but seams to run better when it hot. The temp of my fuel rail gets up to 225 degrees.

You don't have to clean the litter box nearly as often?

Actually the major sign of a failing cat is bogging/lack of power at higher engine speeds. The worse shape the cat is in, the lower speed you'll notice the onset of the power loss

Pressure drop across the Cat, noticeable at the tail pipe at high rpms in park.

Slow to speed up when it goosing the throttle.

And overheating.

Muffler shop can do a DP drop test across the cat, usually for free.

Broken Cat guts will some times rattle when you give it gas, and the symptoms can come and go as the broken pieces move around, blocking and unblocking the exhaust.

Mufflers and the old two ply pipes (do they still make them?) can do the same thing.

Here's a vacuum test for your Jeep.
My cat hates the vacuum.............

CRUISER’S VACUUM TEST FOR EXHAUST RESTRICTION
Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure. Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum. Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle. Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading. If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.

Back