• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#11 head bolt question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
A few years ago I got the bright idea to retourqe my head bolts not n
Knowing #11 has sealer on the threads.while I do not have coolant in the oil I think I have either compression or (most likley)exhaust in the coolant.
I rented a coolant pressure tester and while engine is cold the gauge stays on 16pounds with no leakage but with a warm engine it drops a pound every 4or5mins.
Now my question is will I risk head warpage by removing just the #11bolt (engine completely cold ofcourse) and applying sealer to the threads and putting it back in with the proper tourque of 100ft/lbs?

If you think you have exhaust gases in your coolant, check for it with a "block tester." You can find them at your local NAPA store. Its a container of blue fluid that fits over the radiator cap and you suction up gases from the radiator. If the fluid turns green, then the fluid is reacting to exhaust gases in the coolant.

Yea I'm gonna do that next if that confirms I have exhaust in the coolant I'm pretty sure it's from number11 bolt.
So I'm thinking about removing number 11 and putting sealer on that bolt and putting it back in at 100 ft/lbs.i can't imagine removing that one bolt and leaving the rest of them alone would cause problems?

Back