• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying Air Cleaner Setup

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced their stock air box with a round air cleaner unit on top of the TB? Please share some information about your set up:

Why did you do it? What did you expect to gain or accomplish?
What were the results with respect to mileage?
What brand / size unit did you use?
Hoe does it hold up with water?
Any pros? Cons?

Pics would certainly help!

(Why can I not post attachments?)

Doubt there is room without cutting a hole in the hood. To verify this, put a ball of clay on top of the elbow, and close the hood. They clay will squish to show you the available clearance
as for posting pics, you first need to upload them to photobucket, or a similar site. Then use the [Img ] tag version of the link and post that

Colin (MoparManiac) had an air cleaner mounted right to the TB in his MJ when he still had the 4.0 in it. I dont see mounting an air cleaner there adding any performance or anything like that. The main reason I see for one is for clearance issues, no more intake tubes or anything to worry about routing thru the engine bay.

2nsqumq.jpg

no love for mine? the one me and colin used is actually used for a jetski

00310.JPG

i only did mine due to needing a complete filter intake setup and just wanting to clean up the engine compartment, it does nothing for performance and probally hurts power/fuel milage due to sucking in hot air, theres nothing wrong with the factory set up, and if you have water issues then simply stay out of the water

Your intake air temps go up dramatically, 20-30 degrees and more when sitting.

Well, let's not get off topic guys. I'm trying to learn stuff here ...

Here are my reasons for considering a different air cleaner setup.

First of all, I've been running a K&N full CAI for years with a 62mm bored TB. I'm getting 10-12 mpg, more 10 than 12. Not a huge problem because the XJ is not a DD. (But my Dodge 360 is & I get 10mpg around town :( )

Anyway, I learned from the Dodge guys that I could improve mileage with the bored TB if I switched to a round air cleaner setup. Here's what he said:
You'll actually have a lot better chance of increasing mpg if you use a round air breather setup because it takes in the warmer air and the IAT sensor will tell the PCM to lean out the fuel mixture somewhat. I've had the K&N FIPK on my '01 Dakota R/T and really didn't find it to be worth all the hype about increased mpg and hp. I've been running a round air breather setup for 6 years now and getting 16.5/19 mpg with enough power to roast the rear tires anytime I want to.

Not that I want to roast the tires, mind you, but I simply want to try something different. Basically I want some warmer air ... like what he said. Trying to see how it could apply to the XJ - or if it even makes sense.

Also, I figure the intake will be a bit higher than where the K&N or the factory airbox pulls air from, which we all know is behind the headlight. It's all well & good to say stay out of water, but experience has taught me that it isn't always possible.

Any more thoughts?

Most of us are looking for cooler intake air, not warmer. Cool air is denser, packing more oxygen into the cylinders.
For cooler air and less chance of ingesting water, try a cowl intake. They are cheap, retain the stock air box and significantly reduce the intake temperature.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622703531169/
I have been running one for three years, on my DD, without a problem.

lazyxj said:
Most of us are looking for cooler intake air, not warmer. Cool air is denser, packing more oxygen into the cylinders.
For cooler air and less chance of ingesting water, try a cowl intake. They are cheap, retain the stock air box and significantly reduce the intake temperature.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/s...7622703531169/
I have been running one for three years, on my DD, without a problem.
I've read Dookie's excellent write-up from start to finish, plus everything else I could find about cowl intakes. But with due respect this is not what I'm looking for at this time.

I want to know about a filter on top of the TB - per my last post.

I've read Dookie's excellent write-up from start to finish, plus everything else I could find about cowl intakes. But with due respect this is not what I'm looking for at this time.

I want to know about a filter on top of the TB - per my last post.

And you've been told that it will hurt fuel milage and performance I don't care what the dodge forum says. Fact is that cooler air=more dence air wich results in more power you have a lifted brick on big tires if you want better fuel milage and power return it to stock, if your still set in the filter on the tb idea check out the 3 links that were posted on the previous page for the jetski filter

iodmko.jpg

The results are two things noticed right away.
Quicker throttle response.
and quicker reacting IATs, both up and down.
Once rolling the temps were 7-12 deg lower then the stock little opening.

I hope this will positively effect the MPG... but not betting on it.
Just came back from a 2 hour drive, So much more throttle response and quicker to go. Especially on the Hwy. If you have 15 mins make the opening larger. it feel like it's breathing easier.

Just a thought but if you are running larger than stock tires, did you swap to the appropriate speedo gear?
If not, your mileage is waaaay off. You getting much better than you think.

Back