• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust legal?

trust96xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I put on my rear shocks today and to mount them I had to chop my exhaust before the axle. Is this legal? It made it a tad louder but not much. Just ha no other choice cause the remote ressys wouldnt fit without doing so...

Check you local laws.... But.... 99% of the time it goes like this for a street driven inspection legal vehicle. The exhaust has to be routed past the passenger compartment. i.e.- it has to come out the back of the jeep is still part of the passenger compartment.

In most States, the requirement is for the exhaust to exit behind the last openable window so as to prevent the gasses from recirculating back into the cabin. So, on a two door, in front of the rear wheel is OK, for a four door, behind the wheel. I am not aware of any State that will accept the exhaust discharging under the vehicle. To many opportunities for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Even NASCAR exits the exhaust at the side of the vehicle...

Most likely, it is a Federal requirement as well.

Welp looks like Im screwed. I can't route out the back. The remote ressys on my shocks are in te way and have no where to mount them.

You live in california so if the CHP wants to pull you over and do a safety inspection youll have aloy more than exhaust to worry about. Mostly xause its a jeep or a offroad vehicle. When your driving around just look at peoples expressions when they see your rig. Most of the time its negative. Ive never gotten even a second or even first look from the po po's.

Ive been doing some research to see if full hydro is legal or not and what i found is that if you uave any type of mod done to the vehicle that could possibly affect the stability or handling they can give you a fix it ticket. So pretty much anything you do aftermatket wise is not lefal in way and they could right the ticket then youll apend the next couple months in court trying to fight it and its not even worh it

You live in california so if the CHP wants to pull you over and do a safety inspection youll have aloy more than exhaust to worry about. Mostly xause its a jeep or a offroad vehicle. When your driving around just look at peoples expressions when they see your rig. Most of the time its negative. Ive never gotten even a second or even first look from the po po's.

Ive been doing some research to see if full hydro is legal or not and what i found is that if you uave any type of mod done to the vehicle that could possibly affect the stability or handling they can give you a fix it ticket. So pretty much anything you do aftermatket wise is not lefal in way and they could right the ticket then youll apend the next couple months in court trying to fight it and its not even worh it

It's funny how that works. My truck is more stable and safe than any civic on the road. Or stock vehicle for that matter. Even with no sway bars it doesn't lean as much as my dads stock f150

I have no problem passing CA smog and I dump mine just in front of the rear axle also.

Back