• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Jeep Cherokee transmission problem

Santac

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm new to this forum and I need some help.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country with the inline 6 cyclinder and the AW4 automatic transmission. The vehicle has 183,000 miles on it.

A few month ago when the 100 degree weather hit, I noticed the Jeep was not shifting through the gears correctly. Specifically, I noticed that when I come to a stop and then start out again, it is in either 2nd or 3rd gear meaning that it is not downshifting. I also noticed that sometimes it will not go from 3rd to 4th when accelerating unless I manipulate the speed by letting up on the pedal. This usually starts happening after about 15 miles of driving when everythig is up to operating temp. Shifting is normal before then.

The weirdest part of the whole problem is that the Jeep will shift up and down normally when the temperature is below 75 degrees no matter how far I drive.

I have searched various Jeep forums on the Web and found a few things that might help the problem. I replaced the TPS first with no change. I then changed the transmission filter and fluid with no change. The radiator is fairly new so the transmission cooling through the radiator should not be blocked. I just performs the Throttle valve cable adjustment that I found on this site and it did not help either.

I am at a loss of what the problem could be since it seems to be related to the outside air temperature. There seems to be a temperature sensor somewhere that messes up the computer when it gets too warm out.

Does anybody have any experiences with this type of problem or know what other checks or fixes I might try?

I appreciate any insight that folks have to offer.

Thanks.

Santac

Back