• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new xj, new electrical gremlins...

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
so yesterday i found myself lucky enough to pick up a 92 2door 4.0 with a 3.5inch lift and 31's for 1200 (CDN)......but since it rained last night i've noticed a few electrical issues, each and every one has me stumped, even after searching (im not the best at diagnostics)

so the list is as follows:

wiper blades dont work, even after replacing the motor with known good one from my 94
headlights don't work, yet the high beam light on the dash is constantly on when the headlight switch is on
and when i use my right signal it comes on and stays on, doesnt blink, i assume this could be a burnt out bulb, or maybe the flasher relay
heater blows air only out of the front defrost vent, this im pretty sure is a vacuum related issue though iirc

but while searching the issue yesterday i came across a thread where several people mentioned a certain brown wire in the steering column that takes an immense electrical load, could this be the culprit?

and if it is would it have caused the p/o to have to switch out the ignition lock cylinder due to possible problems there?

Been there done it on my 85, 87 and 89....

If it was mine I would replace the high beam switch, the head light switch, the ignition switch, check the 25 amp AC / blower fuse, and fuse holder pins, which runs everything else as well including the wipers....brown wire.....and so on, check and repair as needed the brown wire and the ignition switch wiring harness and connector, and then order and install a head light harness relay package that bypasses the load around the head light switch, using relays (about $35 at Amazon), and consider a 30 amp relay and 10 gauge wire bypass activated by the ignition switch to run all that load.....

Yes missing vacuum on AC blower vents is likely the problem there, or a bad vacuum actuator.

And I think your right, you need a new flasher relay.

awesome, i'll likely grab all the parts mentioned there before i tear into the upper and lower control arms to change out the bushings, and hopefully that eliminates all or at the very least most of the front axle wrap i've been experiencing......gonna be a busy day tomorrow lol, all these issues and the thing i wanna do the least is an oil change.....im sure that'll change really quickly though

i should also try swapping the headlights for a known good set too, they could be burnt right out as well i guess lol

The head light switches on these beasts are junk, and they are way overloaded buy the AMC wiring marathon. I finally put in relays with a jumper harness to by pass the load.

Back