• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Rebuild Gone Wrong...Help? (U-Joint Alignment)

bzauche

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I am in the middle of rebuilding my front driveshaft, or so I hope, and I am absolutely stumped. I worked on it for 7 hours today...yes, that's right...7 hours on 3 U-joints. Here's the problem:

The U-joint on the axle end went in no problem, probably because it's not part of the double cardan end. I also got the 2nd U-joint in with no problems, the one in the "middle" that has all 4 snap-rings, etc...

My problem is, I simply cannot get the last U-joint installed. I even tried installing the last one first, then the centering yoke, followed by the "middle" joint, but with absolutely no luck.

I can get the two ends into the centering yoke just fine, and the ball lines up with the spring, dust shield etc...just like it should. However, the two ends that have snap-rings...I can't get them even close.

I can get both ends into their respective holes, but I can't get them lined up enough to even start one of the caps.

Any insight/tips?

I have looked over Stu's writeup, as well as the myjeepxj.com writeup, and it feels like I'm doing everything as I should be.

My driveshaft had one of the ears tweaked, and I couldn't insert the cap from outside the driveshaft. I had to put the cap in the bent ear first, then inset the cross, and install the last cap from the outside. And don't be afraid to sand the inside the ears to remove grime and rough edges by hand. Put a little grease in the ears and on the caps before assembling so you don't have to persuade them as much with your BFH.

Good luck!

Back