• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing help with gearing

88liftedxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 xj 4 door with a 93 4.0L H.O. motor and front axle with 33s but might move up to 35s later i drive mostly trails with rocks and mud and on the street as well if anyone knows the best gears for me or knows away for me to figure them out please let me know thanks.

If you are definitely going to move up to 35s, I would just regear once and go directly to 4.88s. 4.56s will give you the most "stock" like feel but will be underpowered when going to 35s.

My opinion, is to do it once and do it deep, go 4.88s.

If you are definitely going to move up to 35s, I would just regear once and go directly to 4.88s. 4.56s will give you the most "stock" like feel but will be underpowered when going to 35s.

My opinion, is to do it once and do it deep, go 4.88s.

X2 I am on 4.56 with 33's and wish I did 4.88 as next tax check I will be getting 35's I think. But I did the 4.56 when I was only running 32's and said I wasn't going to do 35's......lol

You need at least 5.38's (so you better swap in some D44's or D60's), and you'll still wish you had more...but that will have you beating 5.0 Mustangs, getting 20+ mpg, putting 300hp to the wheels, and have you cruising the highway at 3500 rpm (cuz we know the uber-high revving 4.0 loves to scream) at 80mph in perfect comfort, with tons of power left over.

You need at least 5.38's (so you better swap in some D44's or D60's), and you'll still wish you had more...but that will have you beating 5.0 Mustangs, getting 20+ mpg, putting 300hp to the wheels, and have you cruising the highway at 3500 rpm (cuz we know the uber-high revving 4.0 loves to scream) at 80mph in perfect comfort, with tons of power left over.

Good info, I'm glad I read this before building my jeep.

If you aren't going to a bigger axles, I'd stick with 4.56's. Some people on here warned me about the 9 teeth on the pinion gear with 4.88's, I didn't listen. My front pinion now has 6 teeth. Gears held up for 2 runs. If your going to run 4.88's, have them cryo'd.

From what I've read, due to the tiny pinion with the 4.88's, only 1 tooth is in contact at a time vs 2 with other ratio's? Don't know how true it is, but I know I killed a 4.88 pinion quickly. Currently I am running 4.10's in the hp44, dana 60 axles, but would like to go at least 4.88 if not 5.13 in the future.

My 4.88s have held up for 3 yrs or so now, and since last year, I've been running alloy axles. No issues here.

Also, do a quick search on gearing. You'll find lots of info and probably all the same people posting the same experiences and info over and over again. ;)

Back