• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over heated fuel lines

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
With the modified header/exhaust system I made to clear the 9" Currie high pinion front axle, I'm facing a problem of the fuel lines over heating the gas and causing a vapor lock and as an additional issue, pre-detonation (once the fuel has really warmed up) due to the extra heat/ possible leaness of the over heated fuel.

Has any out there re-route their fuel lines over to the other side of the uni-body frame rail (or through the frame rail) and then back across the rear axle to the fuel tank?

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Id try some manifold wrap first, and possibly wrap the fule lines in it also. If you haven't allready thought about it. Or maby fab some heat sheilds?

Heat shield, hood vents and wire the electric fan seperate from the ECU thru a 5 post relay.

how about smacking whoever did the exhaust

I guess that would be me...........:twak:

I also assume that with the 4.6 L Golen Stroker with 24 lb injectors I'm putting out a bit more heat.

I have the aux. fan wired to a dash switch and I pretty much run it all the time in summer.

I like the possibility of wraping the lines, any suggestions on what product to use. Also, I may be able to fab a small shield to also help.

Here is a picture of the tight quarters where I believe the worst heat problem is.

IMG_1831.jpg

The shinny black spots are where the hose has actually melted and bubbled some.

IMG_1833.jpg

I took some temp readings when came back from my last longer trip and here is what I found:

Gas tank 137 degrees
Return fuel line next to unibody frame rail 180 degrees
Fuel regulator 200 degrees

Thanks, I 'll report back what was done and the results.

Fred
Explorer 1

I don't think vapor lock occurs in a fuel injected system because the pressure of the fuel in the lines prevents it from boiling. There might be issues from the injectors getting hot though.

I don't think vapor lock occurs in a fuel injected system because the pressure of the fuel in the lines prevents it from boiling. There might be issues from the injectors getting hot though.

The system slowly looses pressure after shutdown though giving the heat an upper hand. Mine has always stumbled upon a very hot restart. I've even been curious to try an auxilary one way valve to see if it helps. My heatsleeve install was primarily just for the peice of mind, since vapor lock typically does start from the injector.

I can hear the fuel pump screaming inside the tank which I believe is due to cavitation just before the vapor lock. If the tank is so hot that it's causing the fuel to boil and release bubbles, especially with all the bumping around the tanks does, I would assume that this would cause the fuel pressure to drop to the point to explain the pinging due to leanness and eventually the total loss of power and stall.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Back