• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does My 97 XJ Have A Fuel Cutoff Safety Switch??

aquaholic

NAXJA Forum User
i was out wheeling the xj yesterday and was in a pretty deep mud hole rockin and banging around and the motor shuts off. got pulled out and it wont run. fuel pump fuse is good. it runs fine on ether but there is 0 pressure or fuel at the fuel rail. before i replace the fuel pump, does anyone know if there is a safety cutoff switch or anti rollover fuel cutoff reset button hidden in my cherokee somewhere? the thing was running like a raped ape before it shut off. i swapped the fuel pump relay with the one next to it because the relay was hot but still nothing.

Last edited:
there could be something like that, my old 1990 bronco had some kind of inertia switch that did something like kill the ignition or fuel pump or something in the event of an accident, dunno if it'll help any but it was located under the dash near the transmission tunnel in the bronco

i don't think it has one on a 97 cherokee. at least nothing in the owners manual. i checked the fuse and the relay. i'm going to check that resistor on the firewall and the voltage to and from it tonight. i need to try and do everything before i drop that gas tank skid plate. if i remember correctly, i believe i welded part of it on because i didn't like the way the bolt holes lined up.

As opposed to dropping and cuttin your welds, figure out where your pump is and make you a lil access port for it, I know it sounds stupid but better than chopping your welds up, I did it on my 4th gen fbody so I didn't have to drop the exhaust and tank, just an idea incase you gotta pull it

fixed. thanks for the help guys. there were 2 wires right at the plug in front of the gas tank that go into a 4 wire plug. 1 was burnt in half and another was almost burnt in half. cut and respliced and it fired right up. back to wheelin.

Back