• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock mounting

trust96xj

NAXJA Forum User
gettin some bilstein 7100's and i know i have to mount the fronts lower and the rears lower and a bit wider cause i only have 2" of lift, and keeping this thing lcog as possible. any of you guys do this? my buddy showed me how already, and i have tabs and square stock already but i wanna see how you fellas have done this. send me some pics? thanks guys!

why not either get the right shocks or run em through the fender and rear floors

they're 8" standard bodies with remote ressys. reason im not going to cut through the floor is i dont want to cage it yet, and just relocating the lower mount in the rear is easier and ultimately just as effective as mounting them through the floor. with the remote ressy they're not going to heat up enough to get any fade unless im gittin whoops at 45mph for a half hour straight. just gonna angle them about 2" outward and about 1" lower than stock. eventually ill cage the rear and mount through the floor, i just dont have the time right now to dive into such a project.

this is how I got more travel out of the front.

shockmountswelded.jpg

I did them this way because I wanted one of the shock mounts to run parallel to the tube, and one to run perpendicular, I can't mount the upper eyes of the 7100s parallel to the tube because the hose hits the unibody, so I ran that one perpendicular and the bottom parallel.

Is this a go fast jeep? Or will it see rock crawling too? Cuz the lower you mount your shocks the less droop you'll have ... 8" shocks ideal is to have the stroke to be somewhere in the middle. I have 8" 5150's on my 4" lift and Im pretty great in go fast and rock crawling, I wish my front was firmer sometimes and I'm running 275/60 rates now.

I am running into a similar issue with my XJ project, I have a nice set of 8.5" Travel remote reservoir shocks that I wanted to use, but with my original shock mount plan, and using BPE's up top, they are beyond WAY too long! I bought some Zone Offroad rear XJ shock mount brackets, and was planning to push through the floor a few inches and box that area in (inside the Jeep I mean) so I could use these shocks with a bolt tab build into the box. Then just put both shocks on the back side of the axle tube, that seems to be what A LOT of people do... BTW, I am running about 5-5.5" lift right now, and an 8.8 in the rear... Would also be interested to hear what others are doing, or have done, just figured I would share my plans here in case it may help you out at all. Best of luck,

Paint

I was having the same issue and hating the fact that to switch to a normal eyelet shock you have to sacrifice another inch or two of up travel. So I decided to develop my own upper mount that ties in not only the verticle sections of sheetmetal, but also box in around the factory shock mount. Not only does this give a good solid shock mount, but also ties in the upper coil mount as well.

They are definetly a pain to install, but the results are worth it. Our rig is sitting @ about 5" of lift on 12" travel bilsteins with 4.5" of uptravel.

If enough people are interested, we will end up making some DIY weld on kits.

2012-07-16205525.jpg

2012-07-16205450.jpg

2012-07-16182430.jpg

2012-07-24170218.jpg

2012-07-24192542.jpg

2012-07-24191723.jpg

2012-07-27124336.jpg

2012-07-27124415.jpg

2012-07-27124435.jpg

Last edited:
I was having the same issue and hating the fact that to switch to a normal eyelet shock you have to sacrifice another inch or two of up travel. So I decided to develop my own upper mount that ties in not only the verticle sections of sheetmetal, but also box in around the factory shock mount. Not only does this give a good solid shock mount, but also ties in the upper coil mount as well.

They are definetly a pain to install, but the results are worth it. Our rig is sitting @ about 5" of lift on 12" travel bilsteins with 4.5" of uptravel.

If enough people are interested, we will end up making some DIY weld on kits.

2012-07-16205525.jpg

2012-07-16205450.jpg

2012-07-16182430.jpg

2012-07-24170218.jpg

2012-07-24192542.jpg

2012-07-24191723.jpg

2012-07-27124336.jpg

2012-07-27124415.jpg

2012-07-27124435.jpg

that is an awesome idea. never thought of anything like that! also, what wheels are those? they look great on your xj.

Is this a go fast jeep? Or will it see rock crawling too? Cuz the lower you mount your shocks the less droop you'll have ... 8" shocks ideal is to have the stroke to be somewhere in the middle. I have 8" 5150's on my 4" lift and Im pretty great in go fast and rock crawling, I wish my front was firmer sometimes and I'm running 275/60 rates now.

its a go fast jeep. i just dont want to cut into the rear hatch at this time so im going to widen and possibly lower mounting locations. ill take a few pics of my buddy's old xj and post them up later on. he widened and lowered them and his jeep is amazing in the desert with minimal modifications. really is amazing how little you have to do to these trucks to make them capable.

that is an awesome idea. never thought of anything like that! also, what wheels are those? they look great on your xj.

Thanks! They are Konig Countersteer offroads. They don't make them anymore unfortunetly so I'm kicking myself for not getting a spare when I could. :banghead:

Back