• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Detroit locker help -ring bolts. HELP!!!!

Nealio240z

NAXJA Forum User
Hello =)

I am having a problem mating my ring gear to my detroit locker. I bought a 4:88 ring and pinion set from a guy on here who says its from a XJ d44. I bought a Detroit locker (DTL-187L165C) to fit the D44 XJ rear I have. When I tried to bolt the ring gear to the detroit the bolts seem to big- they wont go through the detroit locker. Almost like the hole is 3/8 and the bolts are 7/16. The master install kit for the D44 supplies the smaller 3/8 bolts (same as the D30 bolts) but the gearset bolts are to big. Any advice? Do I have the correct locker? Correct gearset? What should I do? Any help would be great!!!!!
Thanks

I believe I have seen this before. Some gearsets use larger bolts. You will have to ream out the holes in the locker for the larger bolts. I suggest you have a machine shop do this for best results.

My concern with that is- Do I have the correct gearset? I dont want to ream out the detroit only to find I need to replace the gearset and now my holes are to big. Is there two options for 4:88 gears like a "thick" option or something? Im stressing this because I really dont want to have to purchase new gears. Thanks

Im thinking I may have the wrong gearset. I dont want to drill the detroit locker only to find I have a "thick" gearset. This is all new to me... Thanks for the reply.

I dont know the brand- neither does the person I bought them from. They only say d44 4:88 and have a k inside a circle- thats it... Ill double check for info when I get home from work =)

The thick cut gearsets are to be used with the 3.73 down carrier, you have the 3.92 up carrier ... you're going to need either a new Detroit or new gears.

Are you sure that part number isn't - 187SL-16C as this coincides with Eaton part numbers for the D44 3.92 and up carrier version of the Detroit Locker.

Is it possible you may be able to exchange for the correct locker?

187SL16c is the correct number on the box and my order for the d44 3:92 and up ratio... Sorry for the typo. I may just get a new gearset. poop. I really did not want to deal with this.

Back