• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj wont turn over

zburchfield

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1993 jeep cherokee country and yesterday when i started it and headed off to work, the a/c blower, blinkers, wipers or radio wouldnt work. i drove to work and killed it, when i went to start it after work...nothing. i checked all fuses, none blown, then by chance i turned the key back to acc andeverything worked, but not in on position nor would it start. first impression it had to be the ignition switch under the dash on the steering collumn that the key switch is connected to by a rod. replaced the switch put it all back together and now everything works in the on position but when key is turned to start position...nothing....also, now i can change the gear shift lever even when the key is in the lock position but before all the issues i couldnt. does anybody have any suggestions?

ps battery and starter both good

The switch position probably needs to be adjusted. It will move only a fraction of an inch but too far one way and the accessory position will not work and too far the other way and no starter. Loosen the screws holding the switch and adjust it carefully until everything works.

It has been several years since I changed out the switch on my 93 and I don't recall exactly how the shifter interlock cable ties into the system. I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer.

Let us know if this doesn't solve your problem.

And welcome to NAXJA!

not worried about the fuel pump as it wont turn over, im sure that if i can get it turn over it will crank, but getting it to turn over is the issue

i have a 1993 jeep cherokee country ...
also, now i can change the gear shift lever even when the key is in the lock position but before all the issues i couldnt. does anybody have any suggestions?

ps battery and starter both good
shifter-lock cable, or the mech that drives it at the column-end, is assembled incorrectly, disengaged, or broken.

and larsen, would the shifter lock cable keep it from starting?
ya .. maybe .. the key mechanism rotates a pinion which drives a little rack gear at the cable end. If that stuff is binding-up somehow .. maybe the key won't rotate to the start position. Might be possible to disengage the cable end in the column by prying with something small. Best bet is to take it apart again and get it right. "been there"

Did you loosen the screws holding the switch and slide it all the way up the column? Not much range for adjustment but it has to be right for everything to work.

Back