• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS Pump replace questions

PO-Dan

NAXJA Forum User
On the way home yesterday on the interstate at 75 MPH, my PS pump gave up the ghost. Really loud metal on metal grinding noise (even at that speed). Drove it off the interstate and to my driveway (about 5 miles) and never lost power steering, just that awful sound. As soon as I stopped and turned the ignition off, all the remaining fluid gushed out. I see metal shavings on the back of the PS pulley so I am confident that went bye-bye.

After getting a few shop quotes, (350 and up) I hope to replace the pump myself. Can anyone offer tips/suggestions on what to expect or do? I'm fairly handy (I have done my brakes and replaced the radiator twice) and it looks straight forward. Bad thing is, my shop manual got moved without me 6 hours away.

Help?!?

Search around here for write up's, as they will make the process easier.

By checking your profile, I'm assuming you have a '98.

Key thing the tools you'll need, most of which you can rent of you don't have them.

A 14mm or 15 mm (can't recall which) crow foot and long bar to loosen the idler pully.

A "Krikit" belt tensioning tool, to properly sent belt tension when done. You can buy one at NAPA Auto under part number KR2.

A PS pulley puller. You'll need to swap your pulley to your new pump. Use a puller that is specifically designed for the pulley, or you'l fubar the pulley. I rented one at the local rent-all place for $7.00, I later bought a pulley puller set at HF for about $20. You should get a "pulley install kit" with your new PS pump, which is nothing more than a bolt and washer to press on the pulley to the pump. The pulley should come out flush with the pump shaft. Pressing the pulley on the shaft is about the hardest part, just due to the awkwardness of holding the pump, pulley, and turning the wrence to press the pulley on. An extra set of hands helps....

Removing the PS the first time will be the hardest as you figure out how to loosen the idler pulley and the belt adjustment bracketry.

Replace the idler pulley if it hasn't already been replaced, as long as you have everything apart. They are relatively cheap for the peace of mind.

Get a new OEM PS pump if possible, or name brand reputable one. Stay away from Chinese junk. Even with the NAPA one I got, I had to swap my PS pump 3 times, before I got one that didn't have some sort of issue.

Having done the PS replacement a few times now on my '98, I can remove a PS pump in less than 15 minutes....

Thanks for the info. How much fluid will I need to have on hand to get the job done? Also, is it easier to take off/put on the pulley with the pump on the engine or off?

It's been a while since I messed with PS related goodies, but I would venture to say a quart of fluid should do you.

I've always swapped the pulley on the workbench. Though, by having it mounted and stable in the engine bay, that might be a good alternative in swapping the pulleys.....

How much fluid will I need to have on hand to get the job done?

At least a quart. You are going to want to flush the pump, bleed the pump and flush the steering box until the fluid runs clear.

Also, is it easier to take off/put on the pulley with the pump on the engine or off

Not really, remove the pump, you'll have to anyway. Remove the bracket, swap it directly to the new pump. Note (or measure) where the pulley is on the shaft for re-assembly. My XJ - 1990 - was recessed about 1/8", the pulley on the MJ -1988- was different and flush with the end of the shaft.

I've always swapped the pulley on the workbench. Though, by having it mounted and stable in the engine bay, that might be a good alternative in swapping the pulleys.....

It's just easier (IMHO) to work with it on the bench when removing the pulley. Get the tool from AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc. for free. If it's still installed you'll have to work around everything else.

The new belt is squeeling probably because the P/S pump pulley needs to be aligned.
The pulley is positioned either too far out, or too far in, on the pulley shaft. As little as
3/32" either way can make all the difference in the world.

I also suggest getting the gauge, I know the belt has to be Tight and is always way tighter than I feel is sufficient but the gauge takes out the guess work. Also, I say get a new pulley if you are replacing the pump, they are cheap and then you don't have to worry about pulling it off the old pump.

Back