• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 locker sounds horrible

Mattster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Spartan locker in my front Dana 30. I did not install the shims as it says not to. Issue is it sounds horrible when turning. Or at least it sure sounds like the locker. Anybody else found this with the spartans? Or know why it sounds so bad? I'll try to post a video of it

Last edited:
You know you're not supposed to engage 4WD on dry pavement, right? Go try it on dirt or gravel.

how old is it?

all of the autolockers I've had quieted down after they were installed for a month, or a few trail trips. You may try some 85-140W gear oil as well.

It's probably a month or so old. Been on a couple trail trips. It sounds terrible when in 2wd and making a turn. Clunks and bangs.
I've had rear lockers before and never sound like that.

As for gear oil I put in 75w90. Maybe thats the problem. Wouldn't think so but who knows.

is it just turns at or near full lock, does it stop if you slow duwn, i had a similar issue with my lockright with quick sharp turns(whipping into a parking spot or quick u turns), i just slowed down the turns and problem solved

I have had my d30 Spartan for 2.5 years and noise during sharp turns and in reverse is normal. The locker works quite well and I have simply learned to drive with it. I have added Warn hubs and no longer have that unnerving issue however.

I can live with it if thats the way it suppose to sound. It does it mostly making a left hand turn at pretty much any speed. Going a little faster it's less violent, but say ya whipping into a stall or making a left hand turn at a light or stop sign it sounds nasty. Crunchy, clunking , clicking sound. I'll try heavier oil too and see what happens.

Back