• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod identification

Dave41079

NAXJA Forum User
So I just purchased a 99 XJ 4.0 4wd 4dr AW4 that's all stock, white with Ecco wheels. It was involved in a front end collision which deployed both airbags, but really wasn't too bad. I picked it up for $500 though, so it's okay. I was at pull-a-part today looking for some different things I needed, and I happened across a 92 XJ the had a front skid and transfer case skid on it. I went ahead and grabbed both of those. There's also a ZJ with a fuel tank skid that I'm going to try to snag when I go back out. My ultimate question is this. There was another 92 XJ there that had a lot of offroad stickers on it, transfer case drop, was obviously rolled and wheeled pretty hard. At one time it had bushwhacker flares or similar on it, and the suspension including control arms was entirely gone. I noticed though that the tie rod was just laying there and it caught my eye. It's a wheel to wheel tie rod with a separate drag link. The TREs bolt into a stock XJ knuckle just fine, as I tried it on another XJ to make sure. It's pretty beefy, but all the TRE boots are pretty bad. They say MOOG on the boots, and I'd like to replace them. Anyone have any ideas what this is? Not sure if it's stock from another vehicle, or an aftermarket piece. Here are a few pics.

2012-07-22_18-06-41_881.jpg

Passenger side

2012-07-22_18-06-48_207.jpg

Drag link at pitman arm end.

2012-07-22_18-06-54_500.jpg

Drivers side

2012-07-22_18-06-59_5.jpg

After looking around I believe you're right. Looks like that's exactly what it is. I paid $13 for it, and the TREs seem like they don't have any slop in them. I need to get some boots for it and grease it up. Any idea if the XJ castle nuts will fit on those TREs? It's missing 3 of them. I'd prefer to have everything I need when I get ready to swap it.

So would I be better off with a ZJ setup? I ultimately want to switch over to WJ knuckles with Crown Vic discs, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

a ZJ setup will make you much happier. having direct steering input on the knuckles isa good idea.

That tie rod is definitely YJ stock, the drag link looks like YJ aftermarket of some sort. It'll handle more lift height, but will have a pronounced dead spot in the steering due to the TRE between the tie rod and drag link "rolling" the tie rod.

The I6 ZJ tie rod is exactly the same as the XJ stock one, the V8 ZJ one is the solid bar stock one you want. I've had them on 2 different jeeps now and not bent one yet, and I generally pretend my steering is unbreakable when wheeling. I did finally manage to bend a drag link though, that wasn't much fun but at least it didn't break.

Back