• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 wiring

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking to do some rewiring on my tranny. Running the Baja Shifter and have removed the ECU and TCU so it's fully manual. I have been doing some reading of previous posts and think I have it figured out but would like to see if I missed anything.

Here is the wiring diagram for the AW4.

AW4+Wiring.jpg

The wires in orange are the three I need to really be concerned with. Well solenoid 1 and 2 for the shifter, these connect to violet-white and blue-white coming from the transmission wiring plug.

The other solenoid 3 is for the torque converter. Which is now currently not hooked up but probably should be wired in, more on that later.

I will need to provide a ground and power for the shifter solenoids, with is what the black and yellow wires on the TCU are showing (red and purple colored lines).

Now there is a black ground coming from the transmission wiring (purple colored line on the lower right side) I am assuming that will need to be grounded?

Now on my transmission I have two wiring plugs coming from the top that connected into the stock harness. I am guessing one of the plugs goes to the gear selector section (circled in blue) and the other plug is for the solenoids. I have 5 wires accounted for but there is a sixth on the solenoid harness that is a black with a red stripe. I'm not finding it on the wiring diagram, anyone know what it's for?

I'm also assuming the the other plug I can trace back to the transmission, unplug and discard as it relates to the items in the blue circle.

Now for the torque converter. I'm not sure I fully understand how it functions or how it should function. As I understand it the TC should lock up in 3rd and 4th only but needs to unlock to shift or when stopping. I've found a few articles on here that have some great information but either I'm not understanding it correctly or it's not answering my questions.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924795&highlight=tranny+wiring

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24701&highlight=tranny+wiring

These are the 2 main articles:

and RA Design's FAQ:

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Tech.html

So from this the questions I have are does the TC lock up at all by itself or does it require the solenoid to be activated? I am guessing the solenoid needs to be powered.

Given it's not needed in 1st or 2nd (true?) you would need a way so that when you shift into 3rd or 4th the TC locks but will unlock as you shift from 3rd to 4th or 3rd to 2nd, etc? Correct?

I think I have answered most of my own questions above but would like some confirmation. Thanks.

Well if anyone is wondering about the above, Rory confirmed that only the three wires need to be connected, and power and ground can be ran from wherever. The rest of the wires from the tranny will be removed. Have not determined how to control the tc lockup yet, will update with anything I find out.

Back