• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help ASAP Please...

JoeyBottles

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99xj with an ax15 and am currently stuck at work. I am getting no power whatsoever to the truck. This has been happening off an on for a couple of days. I figue it is the ignition switch. However, I have no power, even in the headlights. The ignition is kind of being strange as well, i could pull the key out without putting the ignition all the way back. I was told that the headlights aren't connected to the ignition switch.

Someone told me to try the main power cable, but if it is the ignition switch, should i replace the whole cylinder or just the switch. What do you guys think? I'm at work so I'm having somebody bring me parts so I'm kind of stuck. Thanks!

just confirmed on my '01 that i have headlights with ign off, don't know about your 99 tho. i am thinking a loose connection at the battery terminal(s) or bad ground, or internal short in the battery. just my .02

Check that the headlights, horn, radio work with the switch on. If they don't you probably just have a dead battery. See if someone can give you a jump or pull the battery and take it to Autozone or similar store and have them check it out and charge it.

That was my first though, but i wiggled the key yesterdat andit started right up. Thats what leads me to thinking its the ignition switch... But i have no headlights or any kind of power whatsoever

i would check the main hot lead that goes up to the fuse box. check the wiring for any loose connections. I am not sure on the newer ones but i know i had issues with my 87 and 91. I would wiggle it and boom have power again.

hAVE YOU CHECKED FUSES? iT MAY BE A LOOSE FUSE ASWELL. i KNOW ON MINE THAT ONE FUSE WILL NOT ALLOW MY RADIO, BLOWER FAN, AND CIG LIGHTER WORK. sO I WOULD CHECK THAT AS WELL.

When it ran, yes... ive been having this issue for like three days. Ive been able to start it, just waiting for the weekend diagnose. But i have no power period. i triee to jumper te starter from the battery, nothing... except te battery became hot to the touch. wiggled the main power wire and npthing

Well i just had my sis come and get me... had the battery tested, everything vhecked out with that. Bought a new ignition switch, and a positive battery cable.. couldnt install the switch because i dont have the right size torx in my box. Have to get home and grab my big box. If its not either of these i guess ill replace the ground wire too. Ill have to check all tje wires too.... any more ideas are wrlcome, i qill update in the fix...

I hope you're not replacing the ignition cylinder... That won't solve anything.

The ignition switch that is about 1 1/2 feet down the steering column could be bad. Mine had a short and melted.

Heres an update. I dont think it was the ignition switch. I tested the starter my self and could not get it to start consistently, brought it to autozone, it tested fine. So it has to be a bad ground, i changed all the ground wires, and the power cable. It started yesterday, so im hoping this is solved. The only wire I did not. replace is the ground to tge starter. Thank you everyone.

Back