• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 2001 XJ build.

WEgotYOURrockS

NAXJA Forum User
Okay,

Its not all my build, we bought it mostly done, Now to decide on what I'm going to do to it from here. I dont think im going to do too much as it is now a daily driver. It takes me the .7 miles to work and back every day... ;)
Today I just replaced the power steering lines due to a leak. Should have done it a while ago, but i read about upgrading it to a dodge durango pump...but decided not to. after 3 weeks.

I did buy the headlight upgrade that has been recommended, I have the parts just need to get it done.

What I do know about this baby.

#1- First off I am watching for axle upgrades, but currently with this setup it has ARB Air Lockers in front and back. And due to funds and having to change everything out. If I do I am going to do it best. I like the ARB lockers...

#2 I know it has woody shafts, Because I had one that had a bad squeek, and I broke it taking it out. The shop in town fixed it, but when I was paying for it he said "you should have just bought one with the proper angle, It would have cost you just a bit more then what we charged you to fix it" Ba-da....WHAT!!!
He also mentioned something about the front ends on the 2000 and 2001 having been done diferently then the 99 and if I ever change anything I should watch for a front end off a 99. Can anyone feel me in on this a bit more.

During our last outing we broke the weld on the tail pipe and it now bangs on every little bump...This is my new first fix.

also the mounting for the compressor is broke, another fix...

I also am planning to add Rock Rails. The under-seat mount for the highboy lift, (I already mounted some Hooks to tie down my kiddos car-seats as the seat-belts don't lock after you pull them out all the way so the seats just flopped around like a rag doll. But now my kiddos are safe and that's what matters. Plus Jeeping puts my kids to sleep.

We will see what happens as far as lighting goes after I do the upgrade, weather or not I will be adding more such as a light bar etc.

Just curious, Maybe I need to do some looking in the forums, What do you pack with you when you are jeeping?
NOW after a few outings i decided that it would be smart to take my tool box a few rubber hoses I had laying around some clamps (because we split a brake line once and had nothing not even chewing gum) Speaking of no brakes This Jeep has also been geared and thanks for the Low gear it kept us at 2mph so we could survive using our breaks as little as possible to get down...
duct tape

Also, i did notice that someone put truck liner under the wheel wells, is that common? This jeep only has 60k original miles, so I figured it was a extra precaution or something...

Here she is. if you see something I missed let me know.
P1150699.jpg

2012-07-19200340.jpg

2012-07-19200424.jpg

Here is my buddy.
2012-07-19200449.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my engine.
Slight left view
P1150694.jpg

Slight Right View
P1150695.jpg

Closer View (Im not sure if the engine has ever been worked on... So i am looking for an engine to rebuild in my garage for when the time comes... Defiantly been looking into strokers.
P1150693.jpg

Close view Number 2
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/elderblewis/2001 XJ/P1150693.jpg

Now the front end. When I take off from a stop and the front end lifts when pushing the gas I hear a Popping noise.. any Ideas what that might be?

I think it might have the death wobble but im not sure at the moment, I need to get my tires checked out. I know that when I hit a pot hole once that I really had the wobble so I tightened everything and might need to do it again.

P1150696.jpg

Front Left
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/elderblewis/2001 XJ/P1150698.jpg

Front right, Does my Pitman look off to anyone?
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/elderblewis/2001 XJ/P1150697.jpg

And the rear Axle.
2012-07-19200403.jpg

Last edited:
Well,

Having a woody shaft, Tom woods drive shaft would usually mean you have the proper type…Do you know if it has a Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit? This will determine what kind of shaft it is. The one with the proper angle will look exactly like the front shaft.

The mechanic was referring to a high pinion Dana 30 opposed to your low pinion Dana 30. Jeep used low pinion Dana 30s from something like 2000.

Do you know what the axles are geared to?

As for stuff while wheeling, a good heavy duty tow strap with loop ends is a must as well as shackles or a way to attach to the front/ rear.

Looking good. You will know death wobble when you get it. Sometimes replacing a trac bar fixes it, sometimes more stuff needs attention like ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.. Other stuff to take wheeling, hoses, fluids, spare parts (CPS, TPS) and a FULL SIZED spare tire.

Yeah, It does have the SYE. and

As far as the High pinion low pinion, would... If and when I find one, an axle swap be enough. ie dana 44 or would i have to change everything else out as well?

Not entirely sure what they are geared to, I know that in 4 low it will keep me under 3mph on a steep downward slope. but i can also do highway speeds pretty good as well.

As far as the death wobble, Yeah I know i have it/had it really bad once...
that's when I tightened everything and it has never been as bad, but now it is time for upgrades.

Now here is some more newbie-NESS. questions

When I upgrade these items do I need to get something that will fit my lift. or do all these items stay/have the same standard size? Will I need to compensate for the LIFT? and finally will these have to be changed again if i put in a dana 44?

Tie Rod
Tie Rod ends??
Track Bar
Drag Link
Control arms
Upgrade the sway-bar
Steering stabilizer
Shocks

I am a desk guy, but I am determined to be the only wrench on this jeep. amap ;)

P.s. when I replaced my Power steering hose, the old fluid looked like mud, not clear like the new stuff, Changing this made a noticeable difference in the steering.

Last edited:
Now the front end. When I take off from a stop and the front end lifts when pushing the gas I hear a Popping noise.. any Ideas what that might be?

Could be your trackbar heim joint, trackbar bracket, trackbar axle end bushing, upper and/or lower control arm joints........or simply some loose bolts. Any or all of these can contribute to death wobble....

Get under your rig with someone in the drivers seat and have them turn the steering wheel, while you listen for the pop. You can also feel for slop in these joints or loose bolts at the same time. Go over every bolt with a wrench to ensure that all is tightened to spec.

Since you didn't do the work on it, don't assume that the person who did torqued all the bolts properly when they worked on it.

Just depends on what you want to do...

-there are lots of steering upgrades out there but a simple HD tie rod with the bigger tie rod ends (but still stock taper) is a good option. The drag link remains the same as stock.

-There are lots of options on HD adjustable track bars...

-Lots of options on control arms, drop brackets, long arms, etc..

-Just about any old steering stabilizer will do the same thing.

-Sway bar disconnects are all that you need for that, JKS is a popular HD option, although you already have a set on there, can't tell the brand.

-Shocks will make a difference in ride quality to a point, Bilsteins are a popular choice. I say to a point because without long arms or drop brackets the ride will suffer with lift as the arms are not parallel to the ground.

-For your axles the front really isn’t a problem until you start to go up in lift and then you will get vibes from the pinion angle, a HP axle is arguably stronger than a LP...
When you say Dana 44 are you talking front or rear? There isn’t much of a front bolt in 44 other then a TJ Rubicon and they are not all that much better than a 30, unless you just got a steal on one and they are usually priced pretty high.
The rear axle looks to be a Dana 35 by the pics which is where the weak point would be.

Really the best thing to do is to spend some time researching on here to figure out what you want to do with it.

Yeah, I did get under there and tighten them the first time, so that;s why I'm thinking of upgrading all that stuff.
Just need to start picking and ordering parts to beef up the bra.

Last edited:
Just depends on what you want to do...

-there are lots of steering upgrades out there but a simple HD tie rod with the bigger tie rod ends (but still stock taper) is a good option. The drag link remains the same as stock.

-There are lots of options on HD adjustable track bars...

-Lots of options on control arms, drop brackets, long arms, etc..

-Just about any old steering stabilizer will do the same thing.

-Sway bar disconnects are all that you need for that, JKS is a popular HD option, although you already have a set on there, can't tell the brand.

-Shocks will make a difference in ride quality to a point, Bilsteins are a popular choice. I say to a point because without long arms or drop brackets the ride will suffer with lift as the arms are not parallel to the ground.

-For your axles the front really isn’t a problem until you start to go up in lift and then you will get vibes from the pinion angle, a HP axle is arguably stronger than a LP...
When you say Dana 44 are you talking front or rear? There isn’t much of a front bolt in 44 other then a TJ Rubicon and they are not all that much better than a 30, unless you just got a steal on one and they are usually priced pretty high.
The rear axle looks to be a Dana 35 by the pics which is where the weak point would be.

Really the best thing to do is to spend some time researching on here to figure out what you want to do with it.

Yeah, I keep saying upgrading the axle... I do mean the rear. I keep mixing up my words.

As far as the front goes, On this vehicle I just want it as strong as it can be. I may eventually swap for the high pinion rather then the low one as it is is at a bad angle. I want to upgrade for Stregnth. It is the one I take with the family and I want to be able to get home at the end of the day.

So,
What I am looking to do is replace the weak stock parts, I guess that I am leaving the front axle alone. (I have landed on it 2x prety good though).

I hope this helps make my game plane clear.
but just in case.

I JUST WANT TO MAKE IT BOMB PROOF with where it currently stands.

Thanks again for all your input.
Flex.jpg

Last edited:
Problem is...nothing is bomb proof.... you could drop thousands of dollars in it and still break it. If it was mine, I would get a set of spicer 5-760x ujoints, and grind out the shafts to accept full circle c-clips. Get a HD tie rod, box in the passenger upper control arm mount as well as the lower control arm mounts. Might look into a simple truss. And go prepared with spare hub and spare shafts. Other than catastrophic damage you can get it home with broken ring gear/ shafts and a little no how.

Thats what I have done to mine ( but also have chromo shafts) and have beat it pretty good with 33s and 35s and its locked.

I got the receipts out.
Here is more info on what has been done...
I may be unclear on a few things here, so after 10 years I need to update a few things.

Most of this was done back in 2001 shortly after purchase.
Alot of it is just numbers but its a start.

#1 Skyjacker softride rock ready 6" coil springs 89-c
#2 Skyjacker softride rock ready 5" leaf springs 84-c
#3 Skyjacker softride rock ready 6" double flex lift kit
#4 Skyjacker softride rock ready 6" lift kit
#5 Skyjacker hydro series shock absorber
#6 Skyjacker SYE kit
#7 Custom CV driveshaft
#8 Teralow 4.0.1 21 spline and/or 23 spline
#9 Garvin roof rack
#10 warn HS9500I winch
#11 ARB Dana 35 3:54 & up air locker
#12 ARB dana 30 3.54 down
#13 ARB compressor
#14 M.I.T NV242 transfer case short shaft conversion kit
#15 custom rear driveshaft

in 2005
replaced heim joints
and large rubber mod end Lh & Rh ...???
also large sperical Rod end LH & RH

mods from Feb of 2009
#16 Tom Woods Shaft 242 & TL242 SYE

From what you see here what do you like/not like what would you change/upgrade?

Today, I did the Headlight upgrade... Love it. no more sneaking up on people.

After we did that. as I was backing out of the garage i noticed a slight popping noise. I stopped the jeep and when the wheel is turned back and forth maybe 1/8th turns it just pops.

I got out and had my brother turn it back and forth as i listened trying to find it... but when i checked out the steering box it sounded like it was coming from inside the jeep.
but on the top side it sounded like it was coming from down below...

Any thoughts what that might be? My guess is steering box.
(Note, I just replaced the pressured hose on the power steering due to a pin size hole=leak)

I went out and checked it out last night... and I did notice that the warn bumper we have bolts through the frame and through the steering box as well and Im sure that adds tons of support.

I didn't see any cracks anywhere. Also while i was looking around i grabbed the pitman arm and i was able to wiggle it by hand. So today i will get out there and tighten it and see what happens.

Back