• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing help with quarter panel!

88liftedxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 xj that I bought wrecked as a project. I noticed when i went to put the new hatch on that the passanger side quarter panel has been pushed in about an inch at the most. I have to much invested already to scrap the project so does anyone have any ideas on the best way to fix it, thanks.

you can pull the plastic interior panels and use a peice of would with a hammer and bang it out, it may be something that will take some time

2012-07-19_172723.jpg

2012-07-19_172748.jpg

you cant see what's going on from that angle. how about pics from the front? is the hatch only off on one side, or is it the opposite on the other side? if it's only off on one side, look for buckling in the floor and crossmembers.the only thing i can think of if the body's bent is using a jack between the hatch jamb and spreading it some. it'll likely only move the previously damaged side. you'll want to spread the load some so it doesnt just kink at the jack's contact points. no idea if that'll work, but might be worth trying.

Ill try that. its only bent in on the passenger side about an inch and it starts right after the rear door. Its hard to see in any of the pics but the hatch wont shut without some force.

x2 on the hilift... i came down hard on the rear bumper on a wheeling trip and after that i couldnt get my hatch to open or close very easily. one pump with a hi lift lined everything back up. that much flex in the unibody made me start planning stiffeners and a cage...

Back