• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling problem

Tobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 4.0 sport auto 8.25/30 any time that I've pulled with it it has eather been my tent trailer or atv trailer nothing too heavy. On the way to my land I go over a mountain it's 8% grade I have to get down into 2 gear to make it over. I've talked to another guy that has the same set up as me and he can pull the same set up over same mountain in drive with ease should I look into trany or weak motor

I have a 90 4.0 sport auto 8.25/30 any time that I've pulled with it it has eather been my tent trailer or atv trailer nothing too heavy. On the way to my land I go over a mountain it's 8% grade I have to get down into 2 gear to make it over. I've talked to another guy that has the same set up as me and he can pull the same set up over same mountain in drive with ease should I look into trany or weak motor

He's probably BSing ya.

I'm running 31. 1250 15 not sure on gears does not fill like 355 like in my 92 and I don't see a tag on them I'll pull diff soon and find out but with no load 65at 3000rpm

Dumb Q:
You are pulling in 3rd, not D, right?

And I do thng he is BSing you. 8% is pretty steep under load, regardless of gears and tires.

Old engine.., check your compression with a threaded gauge/tester.

Not really...

1-2 Position starts in 1st, and maxes out in 2nd.
3rd Position starts in 1st and maxes out in 3rd. Used for towing.
"D" Position, or Drive, starts in 1st, and maxes out in OD.

If you tow, you must use 3rd and not "D" or the engine will not stay in the powerband, and the transmission will hunt. You will also get awesomely poor gas mileage and an overheated Jeep from all the power you dump into the tranny to keep up a desired speed.

Also, if your XJ has a transmission power setting switch on the dash, when towing, it should be in "Power" to maximize RPMs between shifts, otherwise it will short shift and be a bit doggy.

This should help a lot, though OS tires don't help either. Did you figure out what gear you have? Well, let's put it another way... Did you ever change them from stock? If not, they are likely 3.55. An older XJ with 3.55 gears and 31's can be a real pooch when towing.

Last edited:
I think 3rd is drive and 4would be over drive ?

Not really...

1-2 Position starts in 1st, and maxes out in 2nd.
3rd Position starts in 1st and maxes out in 3rd. Used for towing.
"D" Position, or Drive, starts in 1st, and maxes out in OD.

If you tow, you must use 3rd and not "D" or the engine will not stay in the powerband, and the transmission will hunt. You will also get awesomely poor gas mileage and an overheated Jeep from all the power you dump into the tranny to keep up a desired speed.

Also, if your XJ has a transmission power setting switch on the dash, when towing, it should be in "Power" to maximize RPMs between shifts, otherwise it will short shift and be a bit doggy.

This should help a lot, though OS tires don't help either. Did you figure out what gear you have? Well, let's put it another way... Did you ever change them from stock? If not, they are likely 3.55. An older XJ with 3.55 gears and 31's can be a real pooch when towing.
For a 4 speed auto, what the OP stated is true. 3rd is 1:1, which in most cases is considered Drive. In our XJ's D/OD (also knows as 4th gear)position<above 3 is Overdrive.

Back