• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Recharge Advice on 90 Renix?

Planetcat

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, hope everyone is nervously enjoying their summer with their XJ. :). Anyways, can someone give me some advice as to how to recharge the A/C on my beater 90 Renix Cherokee? Right now, it doesn't blow hot air, but is not as cold as fresh A/C should be. I want to get one of those recharge bottle kits at Pep Boys, but don't know which one to get and if there's anything to consider regarding tapping the valve on A/C unit. Summer hunting season is coming, so I want to have nice cool climate control while I'm sipping my latte barreling up the mountain after deer. Thanks in advance. P.S. Just kidding about the latte. My rig is beat to $hit.

Chances are you still have the original R12 system, the stuff costs quite a bit. Usually, the seals leak therefore no worky. If you really must fix it, then a conversion to R134a is your best bet.

Unless you know someone who knows someone you " have " to convert it to 134 now. You can no longer buy the R-12 without a license nor install it in anything yourself.

Look at ag shops for stuff called Freeze 12. The patent just ran out though so it is about to become scarce but might be able to find some. Get yourself a set of gauges. Connect red connector to high side and blue to low. Yellow hose goes to your can of refrigerant. Keep dials closed on gauges. Open blue (low) side slightly until the gauge reads about 40-50 psi and charge until your accumulator is wet and cold. Don't let pressures get above 50 though. Old school way of charging without a machine...

Cool article.

That is a great article. I'm ready to get my HVAC contractor's license now. :) Very helpful and thanks.

I had my local dealer do the conversion on my 1990 XJ last year and charge me $440. Nothing was replaced (hoses, accum, etc.) and works so-so, not really cold. I've read that there is a direct replacement for R12 (not Freeze12 or r134) that should be available now.

Hows your compressor doing? Mine has the gap issue with the clutch that does not engage when it gets hot (when else does one want it to work?? ... fricken' clutch!)

I fixed the gap-clutch issue on one of mine years ago with a flat blade screwdriver, just bent and re-tensioned the thin plates on the front and narrowed the gap. Never had another problem with it.

I fixed the gap-clutch issue on one of mine years ago with a flat blade screwdriver, just bent and re-tensioned the thin plates on the front and narrowed the gap. Never had another problem with it.

I was asked how to do this, PM:

There are three plates, about 1/16-1/32" thick, about 4" long and 3/8" wide, they run radially on the face, they are somewhat flexible, and bendable. They are held by huge rivets. I just put the screwdriver blade under each one, in the middle and lifted it up a little, to put a slight bow in each one, which results in a smaller air gap in the back side. Takes about 30 seconds. Also, note that I tried to make sure I had the plate faces parallel when I was done. I did it years ago, and never had any more problems.

Back