• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Cover bolt hole question...

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of doing the alternator relocation on my Renix XJ and came across a small issue... I am using the better 4.0 bracket that has the block tabs as well as the timing cover bosses. The issue I ran into however is the lower hole on the timing cover. All but that hole are fine, that hole, at least through the timing cover is fine, but in the block side it is too small for the proper size bolt to go through into the alternator bracket. I can add some pics of the bolts if that might make more sense...

Can I just drill through that little tab so I can use the bracket still, Or am I going to be stuck modifying the lower mount?

Thanks again for the help,

Paint

I guess this was much easier than I thought to get these pics lol. Had JUST enough light to use my front facing camera to get a pic of the back of the timing cover area, and the phone worked great for the other pics too lol.

These 2 holes are fine:

The right bolt is for the new lower bracket and it fits the top hole of the timing cover no problem, the left bolt is the one that is of the hole in question:

The back of the timing cover area, I need the bottom hole to be the same size as the top:

Thanks again for the help,

Paint

Last edited:
Talked to a friend of mine a few days ago about this issue, he mentioned there WAS a reason the bolts were done this way. It had something to do with the stress on the block side of the timing cover area in relation to the alternator and the other bracket parts; they basically made the bolt a breakaway design apparently. Since I am updating the brackets, I can drill it out and shouldn't have any issues. Thanks again to all who helped out!

Paint

I put a Renix stroker in XJ and swapped in my HO head.. I had to drill out that exact same hole. No biggies... let 'er rip...
AWESOME, Thanks for the confirmation lol. Seems REALLY weird to me that they would do something like that in the casting, only to remove it shortly thereafter lol.

Thanks again,

Paint

Got the hole drilled out tonight and the new lower bracket installed, all went well :) Was torquing down the timing cover bolt just above the lower alternator bracket, and the nut stripped out, so have to replace that now lol. That is an oddly long bolt to by the way lol. Then I snagged the bolt below the bracket bolts at the scrapyard, so got to swap that one over and then the upper bracket and will be done with the bracket swap :) Then need to figure out how the hell to put my compressor on the new mount...

Paint

Got another question here maybe you can help me out on, the very bottom bolt on that side of the cover uses the same oddly shaped bolt, or rather stud as the hole I had to drill out. I was torquing down the stud and it "stretched" and snapped, thankfully I was able to back both pieces out without issue, but I am wondering, what size bolt can I use to replace it, or can I drill out the thread entirely and use a nut and bolt combo of some sort in its place? That is the only thing holding me back from finishing that side of the engine right now... Thanks again for the help.

Paint

Got another question here maybe you can help me out on, the very bottom bolt on that side of the cover uses the same oddly shaped bolt, or rather stud as the hole I had to drill out. I was torquing down the stud and it "stretched" and snapped, thankfully I was able to back both pieces out without issue, but I am wondering, what size bolt can I use to replace it, or can I drill out the thread entirely and use a nut and bolt combo of some sort in its place? That is the only thing holding me back from finishing that side of the engine right now... Thanks again for the help.

Paint

Any thoughts on that bolt? Wondering if I could just leave it out maybe too...

Paint

Back