• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod stripped (I think) at TRE.

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I have an HD OTK steering setup. I was changing my shocks today and noticed on the drivers side a gap between the tie rod and the jam nut. I had the Jeep a few inches off the ground so I pulled on the wheel to the left and the TRE moved about an inch. I think if I pulled really hard it would have pulled the TRE straight out of the tie rod! What I can't figure out is how my Jeep is steering to the RIGHT at all? I thought the tie rod end threaded into the tie rod. So, I tried to break torque on the jam nut but it is so rusted on there it might as well be welded. Tried PBblast, tried hammering it, tried box wrench, pipe wrench, etc. It's stuck.

I want a new OTK tie rod and tie rod ends, any recommendations?

Who's OTK kit do you have currently? You could always pick up the seriousoffroad OTK steering and swap yours out/sell whats left.

I don't know. Bought it from a guy in Utah, who bought it from another guy in some other place. The bar has a slight bend in it at both TRE's to clear the sway bar mounts. So I'm looking at Rusty's tie rods, with teraflex offset TRE's. I'll look at seriousoffroad too. Thing is I need it asap because my Jeep is deadlined. I can't believe I was able to steer at all.

if you post up some pics of whats going on we can probably help more, also help with identifying the steering setup so you can possibly get parts from the company to fix it if its fixable

img20120716093745.jpg

This is just an overall view.

img20120716093757.jpg

Driver's side. This is the end that is stripped. When it was off the ground I could move the wheel outward, pulling the threaded portion of the TRE out of the TR.

img20120716083354.jpg

Passenger side.

From the looks of it I would just go replacing the whole tie rod with some new ends in there (seems like thats what your planning to do).

I THINK that looks like a teraflex high steer setup which is pretty pricey, I can't tell from the pics but if you go with serious or JCR you will have to ream those knuckles out for one ton ends. I would call up serious offroad and see if you can have them make the tie rod with correct ends for you, using their standard setup you won't be able to utilize the "high steer function" since they sell an Inverted T design and yours is a crossover steering setup.

Hm, I took that into consideration. Serious said they could make me a tie rod, and I planned on drilling out the knuckles and putting a 7/8" tapered insert in to fit the 1-ton ends. Would that work?

looks like WJ steering to me.

as far as tapered inserts go, reaming the knuckle out to fit the taper of your TRE is a better I would not do tapered inserts without welding them, and since you can't weld, reaming the taper straight into the knuckle is a better idea.

looks like WJ steering to me.

as far as tapered inserts go, reaming the knuckle out to fit the taper of your TRE is a better I would not do tapered inserts without welding them, and since you can't weld, reaming the taper straight into the knuckle is a better idea.

Teraflex made a pass side knuckle that bolts in, so it is possible. Could be either.

that's not wj, i think it's terraflex.
wj knuckles don't have steering stop adjusting screws, it's a solid nub.

I don't think I'll have any luck asking them for another tie-rod without being able to prove it's from them! I'm settling on getting a ruff-stuff tie-rod with offset TRE's. I'll have a local shop cut/weld it, then drill the knuckles and install the insert.

So, I was moving it this morning to replace the front brake lines, and the TRE finally came out completely! I was looking at the knuckles and it looks like they have an insert on the passenger side, but I didn't see one on the driver's side. I'm hoping they are inserts for a 7/8" but I have a feeling they are for 5/8's. What was the stock D30 size? Does anyone know the P/N for moog TRE's for a stock D30 knuckle?

Back