• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ 4.0lt Engine Rebuild

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 XJ just started to make a rather loud knock and has low oil pressure. Any idea's on rebuilding???? Stock cam, stock oil pump or other mod's while the engine is out. Any shops in Indianapolis IN area to use or stay away from. Been 20 years ++ since my last engine rebuild on a small block Chevy so lots to learn in a short time!
I don’t want to go the 4.6ltr route – More of a stock rebuild, with a RV type cam.

Confirmed it's in the engine by removing serpentine belt - still making noise, check torque converter/ flex plate and hardware, when STP is poured in oil while running quieted down when it reached the pan.

As with any other vehicle the closer to stock you keep it the more reliable/trouble free it will be for you. This combined with quality workmanship of course. If your not planning on doing anything crazy with it why change a proven, quality design?

Go with some hypereutetic pistons, .020" over bore or more if necessary. Clevite or ACl bearings. Hylift/Topline lifters (p/n 2011). Replace your stock head with an improved version that doesn't crack.

As for the cam. Melling sells a stock replacement cam. For a different cam of your liking you will need to go with a cam grinder that will work with you. The blanks can be had but large companies won't want to fool with you. That eliminates Crane, Comp and Isky. Alternatively you can get an earlier can and use the earlier timing set up and cam thrust pin. If you go with an after market cam you will need to determine what to do about valve springs. Either stay with stock or upgrade to Mopar performance (or some other) to accommodate the cam.

Thanks for the replys

Stock it is.....

I just completed a total rebuild of my '99 4.0. I got most of my parts from Northern Auto Parts. They have a nice kit for the 4.0. I bought the kit, assembly lube, upgraded to moly rings - they sent a quality rebuild kit. Even the gasket set (Reinz) was really nice. I ended up replacing my head with a new (not rebuilt) head from Clearwater. I purchased new rockers (Melling) from Napa. Assembly was a piece of cake w/ the FSM. Here is a little motivation for you:

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

Back