• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange starting issue that is driving me BONKERS!!

Fixn2xlr8

NAXJA Forum User
Welp, she starts every time without fail. EVERY morning. I go up to the corner on the way to the office for my daily energy drink. I come out, it doesnt start. Turn the key and nothing. No starter clicking, no nothing. Wait a few mins and it starts right up. It never does it again the rest of the day. be it 3 more stops or 100. Cranks every time.

Its always on the second start only. Never the first start, 3rd start 10th or any other time. JUST the second start.

I replaced the starter. Same thing.

Only on the second start, ever.

Ideas???

Year model and engine?

Most likely a bad ground.

Neutral safety switch? Have you tried to start it in neutral that second time?

^what he said.

notice your backup lights not coming on? that's usually the first sign the NSS is going out. try starting it in neutral, or holding the shifter harder forward while you try and start it. if that works your NSS is dirty and needs either rebuilt and cleaned out (not hard to do at all, plenty of writeups here on doing it) or replaced.

Havent tried it. I will have to try it in the morning. (it will start sure as the world leaving the office now)

Why the second time and only the second time though?

Sounds like a typical jeep GREMLIN! Offer it an energy drink, LOL.

NSS, Ignition switch giving early signs of dying, or a bad connection at the battery even, or a battery about to die. If there is a starter relay, I would check it too.

My '91 did this also. It seemed to work itself out as I was young, dumb and full of *** and didn't take the time to research and clean it out or replace it... All good now, I started over with a '99 and am taking proper care in modifying it as well as maintenance.

now that you've found your problem, rebuild it (cheap) or replace it (not so cheap) before it fails completely on you.

I have this same issue, except it won't start in neutral either. Also if I bang on the starter it will start most of the time. I cleaned out my NSS, but one of my reverse lights still doesnt work, and I still have this issue. Is it still the NSS?

If one reverse light works and the other doesn't, it's not the NSS causing that. Banging on the starter has nothing to do with the NSS, but is more directly connected to the starter.

Has anyone heard of the starter causing this sort of issue? It certainly sounds like a NSS issue, but after your last post I went out and took at look at my other reverse light, and the socket had become brittle and was falling apart. Got that replaced and it works now. I do have a spare starter in the garage, but I don't know if it is any good or not, should I start there? This has been ongoing for probably 3-4 years, and it occurs intermittently. Sorry to hijack.

Usually when you tap on the starter you clean the crap out of the brushes. But when this situation happens, the starter will click like the battery is dead when it is fully charged or brand new.
If I were you I would swap that starter out and try it. You could always have the one in your garage tested at your local parts house.

Has anyone heard of the starter causing this sort of issue? It certainly sounds like a NSS issue, but after your last post I went out and took at look at my other reverse light, and the socket had become brittle and was falling apart. Got that replaced and it works now. I do have a spare starter in the garage, but I don't know if it is any good or not, should I start there? This has been ongoing for probably 3-4 years, and it occurs intermittently. Sorry to hijack.

Take the starter apart and have a look inside. Is it oil soaked from a bad oil filter adapter seal? Clean it up and check the brushes. Lots of times there's just oil between the commutator and the brushes.

Back