• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton steering upgrade

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I have a 98 xj classic with a DPG 3.5" OME super ultimate kit that i recently installed. I now want to starting upgrading my steering and was looking at the JCR 1ton under the knuckle kit and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? I know id have to drill and ream the knuckles to accept the new TREs but has anyone had clearance issues with hitting the diff cover on full lock? I read a review someone posted on cherokee forum bashing them and wanted opinions. by the way I have a stock dana30 up front and swaybar discos, lower arms and JKS adjustable trackbar. (if any of that matters.) the track bar is also going to be getting replaces with a IRO double sheer track bar with the frame side mount. Thanks.

Go OTK, much better handling and much better clearance. UTK has more tie rod roll and you lose clearance over the stock setup.

I run JCR otk setup, left my trackbar mount at the axle in the same location, just cut off the steering stabilizer mount (don't need it anymore), and hacked my sway bar mounts off. It handles great and is much stronger then stock, plus the angles are a lot better then with my old setup. Contrary to popular belief I don't have much bump steer from the trackbar not being perfectly inline with the draglink either, if you want ot keep your sway bar then just buy a set of JCR extended mounts and weld them on.

I have the over the knuckle kit and while strong it has some issues. I can't get any combination of parts to make the track bar / drag link parallel ? The bump steer is noticeable.
Another issue is the tie rod drag link rolls when turning left to right and back. This also gives you some steering slop.
The kit is tough as hell I've beat it on the rocks. I think now days there are better options out there. I'm going to try the rustys http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...ys-conversions-over-the-knuckle-steering.html kit next month.

Ed

As I was looking through jcrs website I noticed they sell offset TREs. If I swapped out the standard tie rod ends and used these would it eliminate the clearance issue? Without having to cut and reeled mounts?

I have Banditoffroad 1ton steering(not sure if he's still in buisness) but he puts a slight bend in the tierod to clear aftermarket diff covers, I've had 0 issues with this and it's over 5 years old now. I haven't heard of anyone really running into any issues with jcr's setup either, keep in mind there are multiple 1ton setups out there so do your research.

they sell bushings to take care of slop... either that or you reamed the knuckles out to much

The knuckles are fine its the ball joint pivot that allows the tie rod to rotate. I bought the jcr poly slavers and they work. I keep extras because it spits them out after.awhile.
Not knocking the setup there are better choices out there now.

I've ran this system UTK for about 5 years now. It has quite a dead spot in the steering (it's not my daily driver so this doesn't bother me at all) I have their polly spacer and carry spares for when they wear out ( I go through 2-3 per year) Mine just kisses the diff cover on full lock (I do have an aftermarket diff cover)
I have also bent this and re-straightened it a couple times as well as broke one of the tre's at the threads.

I don't know if it's better than what else is out there, as this is the only set-up I have run... besides stock.

Does anyone run the iron rock Offroad steering kit. According to the discription it does not require any modifications but will not work with oem rims without spacers. Is this accurate? I'm going to be purchasing their track bar so is the steering kit worth the extra money?

Thanks. i was looking through serious's site and must have skipped that specific kit. all the other ones say you have to cut the sway bar mounts and the coil spring perches i completely over looked that kit

I just installed the Serious under the knuckle kit a couple weeks ago. With the poly spacers the tie rod roll isn't noticable at all and I have experienced no bumpsteer. The kit is super nice. I have a Riddler cover on the front diff and it just barely touches at full lock. Barely.

Good to know cause I was just looking at the riddler Dana 30 cover and was curious. If I'm gunna be ordering might as well get one now instead of pay shipping later.

Back