• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 Conversion issue

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did a H4 conversion with harness.

Tonight on the way to work, in high beam, the headlights went out.

Tried low beam, no joy. Turned lights off And back on. Still no joy.

Then they came back on and stayed on. No flickering at all. Rock solid.

The park dash lights and all were unaffected.

A quick glance and the grounds looked tight.

Thoughts??

Bad relay.maybe??

Nevermind..
:what:

You can't "nevermind" us without an explanation.

Even if you did something totally stupid, you gotta fess up.

The 5th amendment is my friend.

:cool:

Actually, my conversion harness is becoming a real PITA.

High beams go off at random times because of a loose connector, low beams come ON at random times because of a loose wire in a connector, shit stops working alltogether for God knows what reason.

LOVE the light that I have in front o me at night but sheesh...

I am wiring stupid and I like the fact all the work was done for me for a reasonable cost. But it's put together so cheaply I'm going to end up redoing all the connections and relays myself.

If I had it to do over I'd Google up a wiring diagram and just do it from scratch. This is what I get for going "bought" and not "built."

This is like when I was building my Harley, I realized quickly that I could screw up my own junk and learn from it rather than paying someone else to screw it up.

rant off...

I'm assuming that you bought a premade harness... mind telling us what harness?

I'm using the Susquehenna Motorsports harness and in fact the relays are just flopping around loose behind the battery because I've been working on this thing in bits and pieces and didn't mount them when I installed the harness because I knew I was going to install cruise control... that and since installing cruise I've been busy/lazy and it's been hot out. No probs yet even with a substandard installation (gotta fix that though...)

Search "go-jeep" if this link doesn't work -- a lot of great stuff.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Your harness is one of those eautoworks POS by chance?

I would add that if everyone who has done something really dumb working on their XJ at one time or another posts up, this will be the longest thread in the history of NAXJA.

Did you scrape down to bare metal where you attached your grounds?

Yup yup! Grounds are good, routing is good relays are secured well.

It's just cheap ass shoddy connectors.

I'm really thinking tat getting a Hella mini relay box to dedicate to my headlights and aux lights (when installed) might be the cleanest and easiest route.

That means I paid however much, I forget, for some wires wrapped in yellow plastic...

One more addition: I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be all that "dumb", as based on the many posts on the subject, apparently a lot of people have either had reasonably good results with the eautoworks harness or are embarrassed to admit otherwise. To each his own -- I just happen to be anal about headlights.

Back