• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVAP leak code?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 keeps kicking out a CEL and the scanner is telling me its a minor EVAP leak. My first guess was gas cap so we tried a new one, deleted the CEL, and it was fine. For about 6 hours? lol
So does anyone have any suggestions on where to start to trouble shoot this? Happy its not an actual "bad" CEL but still kinda annoying. :)

So they moved the canister to the rear on the newer models? No more big, oval boob behind the front bumper? Hmm... maybe I'll start there. The bumper had some "issues" when I bough the Jeep. Thanks a bunch Talyn!
I do know the 90* rubber elbow that comes off the manifold and heads to the valve cover has some dry rot... could that kick the CEL? I haven't had a chance to scrounge up a replacement one yet.

So they moved the canister to the rear on the newer models? No more big, oval boob behind the front bumper? Hmm... maybe I'll start there.
No, the sphere behind the bumper (its now a sphere) is the vacuum reservoir. Good thing you brought that up as that is a good place to check as well. The charcoal canister on earlier ones were in the engine bay, IIRC, the right hand side.
I do know the 90* rubber elbow that comes off the manifold and heads to the valve cover has some dry rot... could that kick the CEL?
It shouldn't throw the cel as it isn't monitored. However, if its leaking it should be replaced as well.

Follow the plastic hoses from the emission test pump. (passenger side firewall behind the A/C canister.)

There are two rubber joints on the plastic pipes made of single-wall rubber which crack and leak.

One is on the driver's side at the firewall and somewhat exposed to heat.
The other is aft near the canister. It too is made of single-wall tubing.

I replaced those hoses on both my Jeeps with double wall rubber fuel line when one of my '01s had the emissions code. The other vehicle had cracks in those hoses but just hadn't been detected detected leaking yet. (Mine cracked about 5 years ago)

Back