• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PNW4WDA Race Day at Ethel, WA: 7/7/12

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This was kind of a last minute thing for me. I woke up Saturday, realized I didn't have any plans for the day, so I headed up to Ethel, WA for the Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Associations race. Some club members from Piston's Wild were up there racing, so I headed up to lend a hand in the pits, and watch the races.

Races started at 0830, which was when I left Vancouver. It was a little over an hour drive up there (~80 miles). As I was signing in, I heard there was a roll over on course. Turns out it was our rig upside down. By the time I got to the pits, it was back by the trailer. Topped off the fluids, trouble shot a firing issue, and had it running again.

Crystal hopped in, and ran the Run Off's. This is a time trial event, around a short section of the course. The course was rough, and put a few rigs on their lid.
P1070896.jpg

P1070897.jpg

Little bit of carnage. I thought it was a canted raditator, but then I noticed the coolant pouring out. He ran down to the local junkyard pulled a radiator and was back racing the next event.
P1070899.jpg

P1070900.jpg

Gotta hose the mud off to shave weight. More power to the ground.
P1070902.jpg

Pit area. Weather was toasty, but awesome.
P1070905.jpg

Staging for the dirt drags.
P1070910.jpg

Women's class was up first.
P1070911.jpg

Perfecting the carb during staging. Race rig pulled hard all day.
P1070912.jpg

Dirt drags are just as they sound. Drag racing on dirt.
P1070913.jpg

Crystal was picking off the competition one by one.

P1070914.jpg

P1070923.jpg

Dust control on track.
P1070927.jpg

There is some down time between events. AC and Satellite TV doesn't sound too bad.
P1070931.jpg

Men's classes staged.
P1070932.jpg

Now that's a club name.
P1070934.jpg

Full figured Jeep.
P1070936.jpg

P1070937.jpg

Whoops.
P1070938.jpg

I spent some serious time gawking at this truck. Healthy V8, triple bypass FOX shocks, King 2.5 Coilovers, and I believe 28" of rear travel. I'm so done with XJ's.
P1070943.jpg

Classes were based on weight of the vehicle and size of the motor. Sure there was some greay area, but it worked for the most part. If you won your class, you then moved up to the next class.
P1070949.jpg

Darel now racing the Jeep in the men's class.

Finals. I don't know the details on the Chevy, but it was shredding the track.

The Jeep was a contender, but he sheared the rear pinion off after launching. Not surprising when you hook up with 600+ HP.He then began swapping in a spare ring and pinion for the next event. Now that's racing!
P1070958.jpg

Last event of the day was Barrel Racing. With the 90 degree temps, it was a dust bowl even after a few passes with the water truck.
P1070930.jpg

I had a great time up there, and will try to post up details on upcoming events. I know the next one is scheduled for July 29th at the Cowlitz County Fairgrounds, and will be a Barrel Racing event (look back in the trip reports forum for my report on the last one).

Back