• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ: Removing the Instument Cluster?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
Removed all the visible screws... Loose. Seems to be still be connected to??? Suggestions?

You really need to list the year model since they differ widely.

It's in my signature... But... I have a 1987 Jeep XJ Limited! :rof:

Depends on how loose. It has a mech speedo cable so you need to make sure there's enough slack to get the cluster out enough to disconnect it.

Is the cable screwed on or ?

Depends on how loose. It has a mech speedo cable so you need to make sure there's enough slack to get the cluster out enough to disconnect it.

It screws on, on some models, others have a push down clip that holds it. There are two electrical connectors that you have to reach around behind to disco as well.

It screws on, on some models, others have a push down clip that holds it. There are two electrical connectors that you have to reach around behind to disco as well.
Yes, I forgot there are two kinds. I now can't remember which is which, but it depends on whether you have a mainenenance reminder. I think the type with reminder in line, which includes the 87, has a clip and the other type has the screw, but it's been many years and I could have it backwards.

Climb uder and PUSH the cable from the t-case forward to give it some slack up front, then pull the cluster further out...enough to get your hand(s) back there. I have not seen the screw on kind, just a hard plastic white clip. If you have strong fingers you can just squeeze it together and pull it off (installation is reverse). I've had to use some extra uumph with a pair of pliers, but if there is enough slack in the cable it should come right off.

When reinstalling make sure the little square "key" fits back into the square hole or the speedo will not fully engage and it will hop.

Message(s) received. I'll give them a try!

Back