• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 3 core radiators and aftermarket fan clutches

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
DPG has a warning about using thicker fan clutches. I need a new clutch and all of them I've found from the local parts houses are 1/2" to 3/4" thicker.

My question is two part. Have any of you running csf three core radiators run into this and If so, who's clutch are you using?

Thanks.

Running a ZJ clutch with my CSF. Not a whole lot of clearance, poly motor mounts are a must.

Here's a crappy pic that doesn't show much

photobucket-1263-1341789127774.jpg

I know your question is about clutches, but unless you already have the 3 row installed, I want you to consider another tact. I know 3 core radiators were all the rage a ways back... But I wouldn't do it (anymore).

The extra core eats up space between the clutch on the mech fan and the radiator. With stock mounts and a stock fan clutch, it is possible for the engine to move forward just that little bit and eat the edge off the last core, leaving you stranded. I've done it, twice. Happened to a friend on a outing.

Stay with a 1 or 2 row for reliability. If you need extra cooling, add it where you generate the heat. So if you have an automatic, add in an extra cooler.

If you insist on the 3 core, go electric on the fans.

I know your question is about clutches, but unless you already have the 3 row installed, I want you to consider another tact. I know 3 core radiators were all the rage a ways back... But I wouldn't do it (anymore).

The extra core eats up space between the clutch on the mech fan and the radiator. With stock mounts and a stock fan clutch, it is possible for the engine to move forward just that little bit and eat the edge off the last core, leaving you stranded. I've done it, twice. Happened to a friend on a outing.

Stay with a 1 or 2 row for reliability. If you need extra cooling, add it where you generate the heat. So if you have an automatic, add in an extra cooler.

If you insist on the 3 core, go electric on the fans.
Orrrrrr you could just run poly mounts. Going all electric would lose you efficiency unless you spent a GOOD amount of money on fans.

Orrrrrr you could just run poly mounts. Going all electric would lose you efficiency unless you spent a GOOD amount of money on fans.

Yes...

Here's the deal. I've just dumped $900 into this pig to fix cooling and other heat related issues (pre-cats plugged, trans over heating and such)

I was running a Champion three row aluminum radiator but it blew up. I was running two electric fans on it and the cooling was sort of ok. On the highway though the second electric wasn't pulling enough air to match a good manual fan though.

So, I go back to square one, bolt the old manual fan back on, along with a new CSF radiator and hit the road. It cooled great until I started pulling a long steep hill at highway speeds in 95* temps. The gauge was showing about 215-220. Wasn't getting any hotter than that but I felt like that was too hot for having pretty much a complete new cooling system.

I noticed though I wasn't hearing the manual fan at all so I got it up to about 215, shut it off and there was zero resistance with the fan clutch.

Now, all I really want to do is replace it. I don't think I need a super heavy duty, runs all the time super large clutch...just a factory clutch will do nicely but it seems that even the stock replacements are all about 1/2-3/4 inch longer than the stock one.

I'm finding the idea of dumping another large chunk of money into motor mounts, just to run a replacement clutch fan a little hard to swallow right now.

Did you fix your trans heating issue?

Did you fix your trans heating issue?

Hope so. Since I can't drive it without it getting hot I don't really know. I'm installing a spin on filter but it hasn't got here yet. I'm going to put the sender in that since it needs to be grounded so as of yet I don't know how hot it's getting.

Back to the fan clutch issue. I looked and have way more room than I thought. There is about two inches between the front of the stock hub and the radiator. I'm not as worried about a new one sticking out another half inch.

You've been running this for a little bit. How is it working out?

Did the CSF and HD clutch drop right in or did you have to move it for clearance?

My brother needs a Rad for hsi stock 97' so he's getting my two month old OEM replacement after I get the CSF I bought installed. :)

Noticing any noise from the HD fan?

I have a csf and a zj hd clutch, I would definately recommend upgraded motor mounts there is very little room, I run more mounts

Don't the poly mounts add quite a bit of vibration to the ride?

Don't the poly mounts add quite a bit of vibration to the ride?
poly yes, more used the upper control arm axle side rubber bushing, but it still adds some vibes, its tolerable though, and also knowing you wont rip a mount off on an adventure is a plus

I ran the CSF 3-row and the ZJ (NAPA HD) Fan Clutch. I put new napa motor mounts on the same day I did the radiator and the fan cluthc. 10 days late the fan clutch ate a nice crescent shaped hole in the radaitor. I replaced the radiator with another CSF 3 row and bought the NAPA standard fan clutch. No more issues... Although for good measure I ground down all the stand offs from the front of the clutch (i don't think it matters, but it made me feel better).

Back