• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this bad?

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
When you press out the upper ball joint and the post goes through the top, that means it was probably worn out right?

471157_10151244287978765_1923360763_o.jpg

Means you were putting pressure on the stud, not the joint housing. Doesn't say much about the balljoint... the uppers are more of a peg with a sleeve around it and a thin sheetmetal top crimped on than an actual balljoint, it's the lowers that are an actual ball in a socket.

I learned this when I broke a set :gee:

You are correct. That is how I was attempting to press it out.

I haven't done enough ball joints (Almost abbreviated Ball Joints and that did NOT look right) to really know the routine.

I thought they would come out easier than they did.

Live and learn...

They come out real easy when you know "the hammer trick". Get the balljoint press cranked about as tight as you can with a box wrench and one hand, then whack the side of the inner C right by the balljoint with a 3lb hammer... balljoint should pop out a bit. Rinse, lather, repeat.

With this method you can do balljoints without no power tools without ever breaking a sweat.

Good tip...

I'll use it on the other side tomorrow.

They come out real easy when you know "the hammer trick". Get the balljoint press cranked about as tight as you can with a box wrench and one hand, then whack the side of the inner C right by the balljoint with a 3lb hammer... balljoint should pop out a bit. Rinse, lather, repeat.

With this method you can do balljoints without no power tools without ever breaking a sweat.

Worked like a charm on the other side.

Thanks a million for the tip!!!

Yeah, the other method is the heatin' and beatin' method. My first lower I tried to push it up to get it out - wouldn't budge. I just about sprung my OTC press, had it lubed and cranked down with a 6 ft cheater bar. Still wouldn't move - I broke out the torch, had an acetylene torch on it with a 5 lb sledge for a half hour, stopped, backed the press off, the joint fell out of the bottom. Dammit. Held the replacement joint in place and welded it around the top. When it goes the axle is done, or I can cut it out and weld in the replacement one again.....

Yeah, this guy knows what's up. These kind of people are the reason I keep coming around this forum.

This works on anything with a tapered fit.

You are correct. That is how I was attempting to press it out.

I haven't done enough ball joints (Almost abbreviated Ball Joints and that did NOT look right) to really know the routine.

I thought they would come out easier than they did.

Live and learn...

That's funny!!!

Yeah, the other method is the heatin' and beatin' method. My first lower I tried to push it up to get it out - wouldn't budge. I just about sprung my OTC press, had it lubed and cranked down with a 6 ft cheater bar. Still wouldn't move - I broke out the torch, had an acetylene torch on it with a 5 lb sledge for a half hour, stopped, backed the press off, the joint fell out of the bottom. Dammit. Held the replacement joint in place and welded it around the top. When it goes the axle is done, or I can cut it out and weld in the replacement one again.....
I'd probably replace the housing... but wow, that sucks. Lesson learned: wipe the gobs of grease and grime off the work piece so you can see what you're doing before starting!

Back