• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start.

irontom

NAXJA Forum User
So my Jeep died on a trail. I drove through a (small) hole with water in it (only splash, no immersion). The engine died and that was it.

- Jeep turns, but won't start
- No spark.
- No gauges work (temp, fuel, battery). Pressure goes up to the first notch and stays there
- No codes when using the turn key method at all.
- I have unplugged and plugged the ECU back, I can hear a click from the fusebox doing that
- The electric fan is on when the key is turned in the ignition.
- Got towed by another Jeep back home. I let it dry for the night, still the same.

Any ideas? I can't tow it to a shop right now, so I am a bit stuck.

Always post the year/engine for every thread.

So you have "verified" that there is no spark?

A very common cause of no spark on the 4.0 is a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Ignition coil is another possibility. Verify relays/fuses in power distribution center; the black box under the hood on the passenger side.

Oops. Sorry about the lack of info.

Cherokee 4.0 limited, AW4 automatic 1997

1. Fuses were the first thing I checked. All check out ok.
2. CPS - I read just now that it might kill the gauges too. This is the next thing to check!

Thanks.

CPS - I read just now that it might kill the gauges too. This is the next thing to check!.

A quick and dirty test for you would be this. Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor connector under the hood near the firewall. NOW turn the key on and check your gauges. If your gauges are back to life with the crank sensor disconnected, you have smoking gun proof that your crank sensor is shorted.

Well the gauge cluster on a 97 gets ALL of it's data through the CCD bus from the ecu including oil pressure, so if its not giving you a "NO BUS" error then that means your ecu is powering up. I'd check to make sure you have a good strong spark before going any further.

I pulled the CPS (pita) and replaced it with a different one from a running Cherokee - no change.
I pulled the ECU plugs, there is no "NO BUS" error. There is no change in the behavior of the vehicle.

Thank you for all your answers. I am beginning to suspect a shorted wire somewhere.

Start unplugging the throttle body sensors one at a time and then turn the ign on and see if the cluster state changes. Also try the cam position sensor at the dizzy and the o2 sensor connector at the driver side block/oilpan junction.

Have you checked the spark coil, the cap and rotor on the dizzy, the primary HV wire itself, the HV coil contacts?

Have you checked the spark coil, the cap and rotor on the dizzy, the primary HV wire itself, the HV coil contacts?

Did that.

Start unplugging the throttle body sensors one at a time and then turn the ign on and see if the cluster state changes. Also try the cam position sensor at the dizzy and the o2 sensor connector at the driver side block/oilpan junction.

Did almost all of that. And more.

Then, being bored, I rechecked the fuses and found one looking intact but not conducting (15Amp, under the hood cluster, I think it is AUX power).

She started right up like nothing happened. Thanks all for the help.

Note from DJ
When you get a chance could you take a look and post back the fuse position number for the next member that is having a similar problem please.
Thanks in advance

The fuse location is in the under-the-hood cluster.

Looking from the drivers perspective, it is the middle section (mini-fuses), top row, second from the left 15Amp fuse.

According to the FSM it is F21 Fuel Pump Relay.

Back