• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overdrive kickdown problems

warmhambone

NAXJA Forum User
Every now and then I have this problem where my Jeep will randomly come out of overdrive for a few seconds then go back in. It did it again this morning but this time it was kind of slightly jerking or skipping a bit before it did it. It then came out of OD then went back in. There was no fluctuation in the rpm when it was jerking or skipping. Any ideas?

I'm not real familiar with the 2000 XJ, but my 96, at near full throttle, usually when going up a hill, will pop in and out of passing gear. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Could be your TV cable needs an adjustment.

It may be an ignition miss, or a lean condition. I've mistaken a lean miss for a torque converter lockup or kickdown problems before. If the motor runs lean and detonates or lean misses, it usually bucks and almost feels like a transmission issue. Single cylinder misfires seem pretty common in the later model XJ's. If the O2 sensor is going bad and leans the motor out too much, usually at operating temperature and around peak torque, 2200 RPM +/- 200 RPM (maybe a little higher for late models), the motor will buck and can feel like a tranny issue.

Just some guesses.

My 96 will do it if I add just a tad but of throttle while climbing. Always has. Think it's just how the aw4 works. Does it do if while on a flat surface and consistent throttle?

Could be an early sign of wear on the TPS.

I would adjust the Throttle Position cable myself. Numerous threads here on the "how-to" of it.

I had the opposite issue where the transmission pretty much refused to downshift properly. 30 seconds of mechanical adjustment later and it behaves itself.

Kick down sequence is TC unlock followed by down shift out of OD. Before the adjustment. it would go from OD/TC locked to third in one shot.

Your cable may be out of adjustment in the opposite direction making the transmission think the throttle is open more than it is. This will cause the transmission to not want to stay in OD/TC locked.

42 MPH is where the convertor locks in. Drive at 50 MPH keeping a steady foot on the gas. With your left foot touch the brake pedal. It will unlock the torque convertor and raise RPMs by about 3-500 RPMs.
Ron

42 MPH is where the convertor locks in. Drive at 50 MPH keeping a steady foot on the gas. With your left foot touch the brake pedal. It will unlock the torque convertor and raise RPMs by about 3-500 RPMs.
Ron

Mine drops the rpm 200 rpm when it locks up. It also locks up as low as 37 mph, in the third gear, and does not unlock until it reaches 25 mph, even with the brake on, all in D. Mine is an 87 Renix.

Back