• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod/drag link replacement

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
I will lift my rig to 4.5 or 5 inches and I'm thinking to replace my current stock TD/DL with a new kit.
Until now I've read several good comments about the Currie Steering kit but seems pretty expensive. Is there any cheaper alternative that also be just to bolt?

Is it possible for example to replace just the tie one rod and keep the original drag link? Ironman4x4 sells one that looks like just as beefy as the Currie but cost almost the half.

I will not crushing rocks so I don't need a 1.25 solid tube.

Last edited:
just do a v8 grand cherokee swap. You can get everything you need at a auto parts store.

Ironman4x4fab ftw! I spending the money new, why not?

It's a very good option. However they don't make a drag link, do they? I can use their tie rod with a stock drag link without problems?
No, they do not. Yes, I have one and a stock draglink. If I had to classify what the TRE's are I would say they are a 3/4 ton TRE. As the shank (or whatever it would be called), is larger, but the ends are stock taper. I bought mine before he offered them as an option with the tie rod. So I found some nice MOOG ends for cheap on ebay. I think it is the best route without going to a different type of steering, such as the jcr/serious style or WJ crossover style.

I wheeled for 2 years on 33s before I bent a drag link... and have never bent a V8 ZJ tie rod. And I mostly pretend my steering is indestructible and point it wherever I want to end up.

And even then, the drag link only bent because I tried to steer right while stationary with the passenger tire wedged securely against a large rock. Oops.

I want to improve/update the steering without entering in OTK, U Turn, Teraflex mods.

I don't do rock crawling and now I'm running 31" (32 or 33 in the future and not larger than that). I guess with a solid tie rod and a new drag link will be enough. If that works for you, sure works for me :).

Thanks for the answers.

33's on the zj tie rod should be fine. the stock xj drag link is strong enough, especially if you don't rock crawl. i only bent my xj drag link when i went to 35's, and that was mostly because i was backing up and a rock caught it and bent it out. i was driving pretty agressively at the time though because i was stuck.

The stock drag link is pretty beefy, I just replaced the pitman arm rod end, it is much beefier than the stock tie rod parts. I dont know what kind of wheeling you are doing but if you not hitting the rocks hard the v8 stuff is fine. Ive ran the zj steering a few times and carry one as a spare, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as a easy steering upgrade.

The stock drag link is pretty beefy, I just replaced the pitman arm rod end, it is much beefier than the stock tie rod parts. I dont know what kind of wheeling you are doing but if you not hitting the rocks hard the v8 stuff is fine. Ive ran the zj steering a few times and carry one as a spare, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as a easy steering upgrade.

Most of the trials are mud, sand and water. You can find some rocks crossing a creek but there's always an alternative path.

I'll try to find a tie rod from ZJ or buy a new one from Ironman4x4 or IRO.

Thanks.

they get a lot of my money... not that that justifies it. i also keep them as spares, i dont sell them like some people i have seen on local forums... not that that justifies it either.

ruff country also offers a fairly priced DOM tie rod that accepts stock ends, and they include jam nuts.

just buy one new... i got mine for $35, lifetime warranty.

bent it? take it back and get a new one. or pick up a JY one for cheap, wait a couple months, take it is as the original. brand new trail spare.

That is the 'little big problem' I face always: I don't have access to a real YJ. Are the issues of living in a tiny third-world country :banghead: .

Not to steal this thread but I also need to replace my TREs and don't know if I'm reading this right since I'm on my phone. Does the ZJ pitman arm end fit the xj draglink? Or would I have I replace all the steering with the zj steering

Walt, I was with you 100% till you suggested warranty fraud. That's not cool.

The Kolak version is ZJ V8 parts complete for less than most other "kits". Send him a line and ask for a quote, can't hurt and as others said, the solution is more than adequate for week end warrior off roading!

Back