• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preferred Coolant Type - OEM or Different? What you use and why!

X E Ryder

NAXJA Forum User
Hi XJ People!

Happy 4th! Woohoo a day off! (What's that?) lol [sorry its the rum talking]

OK so I asked in someone else's thread and searched a bit - I did not find the answer:

What Coolant Do YOU Run and Why!

My manual says the regular stuff, I used Prestone last. Water weteer is great for cooling but not so much corrosion protection or lubing the water pump right?

Does anyone run Dexcool or the newer stuff?

I have to swap some hoses and a T-stat gasket so it is my chance to make a clean switch to something better. Thank you!

I use what is on sale at the parts store, usually Prestone. It works, no issues.

Prestone and distilled water.

Be amazed at just how much cleaner the system stays when you leave all of the minerals out of the water. Not deionized, just plain old, grocery store steam distilled.

FYI, the better your tap water tastes the worse it is for a cooling system. The taste is the minerals in the water that will "plate" out of solution.

Thanks to all for the replies!

Prestone and distilled water.

Be amazed at just how much cleaner the system stays when you leave all of the minerals out of the water. Not deionized, just plain old, grocery store steam distilled.

FYI, the better your tap water tastes the worse it is for a cooling system. The taste is the minerals in the water that will "plate" out of solution.

Yes, I am guilty of not always using real distilled water. I have used the premix stuff lately just to save the step of pouring bewteen containers and all.

Back